Rag Joint alignment

I'm replacing the manual steering box on my '70 and was wondering what the best way to make sure I put the rag joint on the new box to keep the steering properly centered. Any help would be great.

Also, I'm replacing the pitman arm but couldn't remove the old one from the old box on the car and I'm still having problems getting it off. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, went on straight forward like you said. For some reason though after I bolted the new box up, the rag joint was about 3/4" from where it bolts to the steering column. The numbers on the old and new boxes match so it should be the same. I tried moving the rag joint forward on the box shaft but that didn't help much. It looks to be the same but I'll take the new box down and compare the shaft to the old one. I also checked the column and it doesn't seem like it could have moved back at all either. Ever seen this? :shrug:

That's possible but I did try to pull it towards the rag joint without success. I'll double check that when I check the shaft length in the am. A friend suggested that I should loosen the column and see if I can mate it to the rag joint and tighten it back up again. Does that sound reasonable worst case?

That worked! Just pulled down on the end of the column and done.

Got the steering box in and connected to the column. Put the new pitman arm and idler arm on. Tomorrow the new tie rods go on! I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I'm excited to have the car not steer like an old school bus!