Rapidly blinking right turn signal?

70stangcoupe

Founding Member
Nov 12, 2001
Winston-Salem, NC
This just happened today, if anyone can help me out, please do.

I went to make a right turn today and I hit my turn signal, and it flashed VERY RAPIDLY, almost like a bulb was missing. The left turn signal was fine and flashed at a normal pace, it was only the right that was flashing VERY rapidly.

I figured I had a bulb burnt out so I got out and checked, and all the lights seem to be working well, including brake lights, marker lights, headlights and turn signals.

What in the world would make the right turn signal blink significantly faster than the left? :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

70stangcoupe said:
This just happened today, if anyone can help me out, please do.

I went to make a right turn today and I hit my turn signal, and it flashed VERY RAPIDLY, almost like a bulb was missing. The left turn signal was fine and flashed at a normal pace, it was only the right that was flashing VERY rapidly.

I figured I had a bulb burnt out so I got out and checked, and all the lights seem to be working well, including brake lights, marker lights, headlights and turn signals.

What in the world would make the right turn signal blink significantly faster than the left? :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

check your relays and the connect to the rear lights. Problem should be solved.

In my 5.0 the turn signal would just stay on. I unplugged my flasher (white plug thingee under dash) and banged it against the ground a couple times (seriously) and reinstalled, worked fine for years after.
:shrug: Flashers are cheap any way, if it's a constant quick blinking, I doubt it's a fuse.

same EXACT thing happened to me when i had my 98 GT. the stupid thing flashed twice as fast as normal. it eventually just went away. i had no idea what happened on that. then it happened on my 2000 GT, only when it did, my car would also die, even while i was moving! i took it in and it just turned out to be a fuse that wasnt connected correctly

Same thing happened to me, however it was not the bulb or the relay that was shot. It was actually a few of the wires that connect into the bulb housing were actually loose. I would definitly check that out, becuase when I brought it back to the dealer they had to replace the whole housing.

Not sure about other years but the flasher module on the 2003 has a circuit that causes 2X the flash rate if it senses the load, 2 filiments has been reduced. This is to warn of a light out. Could be a loose connection, lamp loose, maybe the turn signal switch or anything that makes the module sense it. Module could be failed also.

MachInegun

Mine did the exact same thing & every time it happened it also blew out my left foglight bulb. I replaced the bulb & it blew as soon as I turned it on. So I checked all my light connections & realized there was a short in my right rear light. I reconnected everything after fixing the short & electrical taped the connection together really well, replaced the fog bulb & it's been fine ever since. BTW: The short occurred cuz I have a box in the trunk w/ 2 12"s that once upon a time wasn't mounted down & so flew around my trunk wildly while driving. It hit the harness enough times to cause the connector to break creating a short. Sorry so long-winded.