Raptor Shift light install with pics/video

BaconBits

Apr 4, 2005
Just installed my new Raptor Performance shift light and it is sweet. It does NOT require a tach adapter and all the wiring is done in the interior of the car. It is super bright and even in direct sunlight it is very easy to see. A very cool mod. I got mine from Butt Ugly Customs for $85 SHIPPED. Cheapest place on the internet, and it got to me in less than a week. Here are some pictures and a VIDEO .

shift1.jpg

shift2.jpg

shift3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a picture of the very easy 3 wire install. You have a 12v switched power, ground, and the input comes from the #1 coil lead from the ECU. All of them are right there in the kick panel!

shift4.jpg

I wish I would have heard about them sooner. I always wanted a shift light, but was put off by having to buy a tach adapter ($60) and installing it. Not to mention most shift lights that are not attached to aftermarket tachs need "pills" to set the limit. And the cost all together was about twice what the Raptor cost. And I love the size of it. And as an extra bonus I like the little LED dance it does when you turn your ignition on!

grrr, I hate everyone with their perfect shiftlight's :( mine kept throwing a SES code on my car. Yeah it was hooked up the same as everyone else's. Oh well I'm buying another one and trying it again lol

Looks good though!

I've got the blue LEDs . . . this is a killer shift light and it really helps at the track with the 4.10s. First gear is gone so quickly it's nice not to have to focus on the tach. Excellent bang for buck in my opinion and it even adds a little "bling"! Mine's mounted on the driver's side front a-trim.

BMan5150 said:
I've got the blue LEDs . . . this is a killer shift light and it really helps at the track with the 4.10s. First gear is gone so quickly it's nice not to have to focus on the tach. Excellent bang for buck in my opinion and it even adds a little "bling"! Mine's mounted on the driver's side front a-trim.
Yeah, I saw it as a major safety factor, being able to keep your eyes on the road. I'm from Columbus as well. What track do you go to? National Trails?

I set mine for 5500rpm. Just before redline. That way I don't hit the rev limiter if I go over a little. With my stock cams (for now) power falls off after 4900rpm anyway. It's easy to adjust the redline, so you can play around and find what best suits your application.

BaconBits said:
Yeah, I saw it as a major safety factor, being able to keep your eyes on the road. I'm from Columbus as well. What track do you go to? National Trails?

I've made about 36 passes on the 2001 since I've owned it, but the majority have been at Marion County International Raceway. MCIR isn't nearly the track NT is, but I can arrive on any given Friday when the gates open (5:30pm) and easily get 4-6 passes before 8:00pm and be home by 8:45 (I live in Dublin.) National Trails is ridiculously busy every time I go, and they seem to shut the track down way too often. I understand safety concerns, but they seem overly cautious! It usually takes me 3 hours to get 3 passes, and sometimes I only get 2. I've tried Friday nights and Sundays - getting there when the gates open on Sunday seems like the best bet for getting a quick 2-3 passes in.

Where did you get your SCT and who tuned your car?

ToplessStang said:
I just order one as well. This may be a stupid question but do you guys that own one set it at the exact RPM you want to shift or do you set it 100-200 RPM less to compensate for your shift reaction???

You know, I just checked my setting - it's at 5600, and I'm wondering if that's a problem. I don't usually hit the rev limiter anymore since adding the shift light, but I think my reaction to the light is at least 200 rpm too slow. I'm going to move it to 5500 for the new season and see if that improves my times.

Sure would like to see some 13.7s this year!!! I've added a few gadgets so I'm hoping with good air I'll easily be into the 13.7s. I'm so darn close the last few times out!:bang:

BMan5150 said:
Where did you get your SCT and who tuned your car?

I got my X2 from Mustang Tuning. I got tunes with it, but I use tunes given to me from SCT . The guys from SCT on the forum are very cool and may give you some custom tunes based on your mods if you ask them nicely. I'll get a real dyno tune after I install my LT's and stage II cams. Thanks for the info on Marion County, I'll have to give it a try :nice: