Fox Rare Paint Color Questions

TType85

Nov 16, 2016
I used to have a 85 LX Convertible 5.0. It was Auto/CFI I swapped in a 5spd and MAF EFI motor along with turbine wheels. I sold it a long time ago and it is one of the cars I really miss. Looking back at it now it was a really rare color; Dark Sage, tan top, tan interior, but it also was two tone (tan below the belt line). Was that an option back then or was it a dealer thing? I bought it from it's original owner and didn't know enough back then to ask about it.

Here is a pic:
aJIiXdU.jpg

I loved that car, even when the plastic lines for the convertible top broke and spilled fluid all over the floorpan/trunk and the old CFI motor cracked a cylinder wall driving home at midnight.

I have been happy with my 2013 GT but I have a feeling another Fox Body is going to be sitting in my garage soon (low option LX Notchback is what I really want, but it's tough to find).

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure about the two tone color, let's ask @Mustang5L5 . He has some brochures from back then.

What do you think Mike?

Sage green is almost always the rarest color. It wasn't too popular back then. I love it now though.

The tan interior and top was a thing. I had a pic of an 87-89 GT with the same convo.

I'll have to check the brochure about the bottom trim. Not sure I have 1985.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall seeing that two tone theme until the 87 style GT cars came around. I could be wrong, but I fell pretty confident saying they didn't come that way in 85-86. That car has wheels off of an 87 up GT, stands to reason someone painted it wanting the paint motif to match the car the wheels came from..:shrug:

I don't recall seeing that two tone theme until the 87 style GT cars came around. I could be wrong, but I fell pretty confident saying they didn't come that way in 85-86. That car has wheels off of an 87 up GT, stands to reason someone painted it wanting the paint motif to match the car the wheels came from..:shrug:

I put the turbine wheels on it. It had the standard LX wheels 14"? Wheel "G" from here: http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/...anuf=Ford&model=Mustang&smod=&page=17&scan=17

Looks like on the next page, charcoal gray was available as a two-tone color on the GT's and LX hatch.

I haven't seen the 2-tone anywhere else on the older foxes so it may have been a dealer thing. I miss that car.

EDIT: here is another pic of the day I got it. Damn I feel old now.
Jm4nPl6l.jpg

Last edited:
Dark Charcoal was the only 'lower accent' (aka "tu-tone") paint available in 1985. It was only available on LX hatchbacks and GT hatchbacks painted 1B, 1E, 2A, 2R, 3V, 8L (LX only), or 9L.

Your door tag and buck tag will tell you the original paint color(s), including whether it had tu-tone or not. (1985 tu-tone = "XP" on door tag, "TT" on buck tag)

Reactions: 1 users
That was a really nice looking car. I've got a question for you guys now that we are on the subject of rare. My brother bought a 1989 mustang gt convertible from a towing company back in 07. It was red and gold but it had these turbine rims that where made of some sort of plastic composite and the where extremely light and I've been trying to find information on those style of wheels but can't find any it always pulls up the aluminum alloy ones? Has anyone else ever seen those type of wheels?

Mustang5L5 yes they were made of some sort of plastic composite and I wish I had pictures but I don't. We would go do burn outs in the car and the day came where it needed new tires so my brother just ended up buying chrome cobras so when we took the turbines off we realized that they were made of some really light composite. That was over ten years ago and he can't remember what ever happened to that set of rims.

Plastic composite wheels are a relatively new tech for vehicles. I think Audi is the first OEM to try it. That's why I question the material as modeling a set of 30 year old turbines seems odd.