Rattle/Ticking after oil change

ddv98cobra

Aug 24, 2004
Canton, OH
I just changed my oil I switched to 5W-30 like the book says, and before I was running 10W-30. Now I have a ticking noise that seems to be on the drivers side, but let me describe it better. Its rythmic, and speeds up with increased RPMs. The most noticable is right when the RPMs are cycling down, but I can also hear it when driving very faintly. Could this be valve train noise from a different oil viscosity? I didn't notice it before the oil change which leads me to believe thats the cause. I don't feel any power loss. Anyone else this?

JTK

98 Cobra - BBK headers & Xpipe, Borla mufflers, custom chip, undriven pullies, 4.10 gears

• Sponsors (?)

That is a strange phenomen because 5w-30 & 10w-30 are both essentially the "same" at operating temp. In fact, the 5w would flow "better" at cold start-up compared to the 10w, in theory. It's tough to say why you are experiencing this ticking problem, did you make any other changes to the car?

The increase/decrease in RPM ticking noise can also be associated with an exhaust leak - doublecheck to make sure your headers/X-pipe exhaust bolts haven't worked themselves loose... :shrug:

BTW - What kind of oil filter are you using; does it have an anti-drainback valve?

Just some ideas...

I have heard some others comment on the same thing your hearing, and they said it was a recall and nothing too bad but this may be only on the 03/04. I know mine makes those kinda ticking noises but its my throwout bearing haha good luck

go to the svtperformance.com site and do a search under 'tick'. you'll get about 2,000,000 responses.

the head tick is an annoying phenomenon that Ford has had with all the 4.6 V8's, some much worse than others. unfortunately until someone starts a class action lawsuit, they are probably not going to fix it.

uncle meat posted the service bulletien a while back, which authorizes fixed for some early 03's, but that's it. hopefully its something else though that can be fixed?!?!?