Rattling Noise

• Sponsors (?)

Recently my 2000 Gt started making a rattling noise. It sounds like it is coming from underneath or around the shifter (5 speed). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Start with the simple things: Get under the car (jackstands, safety ...) and check the heatshields on the catalytic converters for looseness.

Can you be more specific as to when you hear the rattle? Accelerating? Decel? Coast? Engine revving in neutral? Only at certain RPM values? Specific to a gear?

Start with the simple things: Get under the car (jackstands, safety ...) and check the heatshields on the catalytic converters for looseness.

Can you be more specific as to when you hear the rattle? Accelerating? Decel? Coast? Engine revving in neutral? Only at certain RPM values? Specific to a gear?

I don't have any catalytic converters, it happens in all gears when accelerating, decelerating and sometimes when coasting.

Do you have an aftermarket shifter (Steeda Tri-ax, MGW, etc...)? If so, remove the shift boot and see if the handle to base bolts are still tight.

Do you have an aftermarket shift knob? I had the Mach 1 knob and it rattled like crazy so I changed it out for a different knob

Do you have aftermarket exhaust? The headliner rattled if it was below 60* when I had my o/r H-pipe d/t the resonant frequency...

Dude it could be a million things, we need more details on where the sound is coming from and what it sounds like