Engine Raw fuel out tail pipe/Codes 42 and 92

Hello. I actually have a 5.0 in a 68 Ford F100 that I put a mustang fuel injection setup in. It has been quite a journey getting it to this point however I’m having an issue with it starting, and it is running rich. It doesn’t hold pressure at the fuel rail so I have to cycle the ignition to build pressure before I start it. Then as it warms up while running it starts putting gas out of the exhaust pipes enough to make the floor wet. I only have codes 42 and 92 when I do a KOER. When I do a cylinder cutout then the first round it is cyl’s 7,6,5,3. Second round is 6,5,3,1, and 7. Third round is 8,7,6,5,4,3,2, and 1. I used a Ron Francis wiring kit. I bought all new sensors, a reman AL9 ecm, and I’m running a factory fpr. The motor itself has 27,000 miles on it. I bought it remanned from Surefire 4 years ago. It had a 3 year warranty and waited until the warranty was out because I wanted to change heads. It’s an early model 302, and I couldn’t afford to change heads, but I did have to swap the cam out to get the right firing order. It has a 351W flat tappet RV cam. I’ve got a video of it running if that would help anyone. I’m at a loss and desperately need help. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2E6D5F2D-076E-4317-B8FA-D9B5D868E369.jpeg
    2E6D5F2D-076E-4317-B8FA-D9B5D868E369.jpeg
    513.5 KB · Views: 44
  • BBCB0025-0E86-4084-8C93-94123ED3A779.jpeg
    BBCB0025-0E86-4084-8C93-94123ED3A779.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Sponsors (?)

Did you verify that fuel is exiting the tail pipes?
I doubt there is that much condensation in them pipes. Don't run the engine at all and change that oil out asap, squirt some clean motor oil into the cylinders. Now on to the problem.
Oh, and change them plugs!!!!!
What is the static fuel pressure? How is the fuel system setup? In tank pump? Return line? Timing? Injectors firing at the right time?
I'm unfamiliar with the Ron Frances harness.
Does the fuel pump run constantly?
I left this in the fox mustang tech to get some members in on the action.

Looks like you have multiple misfires all around. That's why the numbers keep changing. Every cylinder is misfiring for some reason.

So many possible reasons though. Can you tell us about the engine?

Test each injector individually using a spare rail
Make sure the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm holds vacuum
I don’t have a spare rail. I do know the fpr is holding vacuum.

General
I installed a tank from a Bronco 2 in the frame and I’m running a stock pump from the bronco 2. Fuel lines from a short bed f150 with a single rear tank and the fuel rail off of a truck. I did that so the fuel lines go out the back and I could use all factory ford parts. Timing is set to 12 degrees with the spout disconnected. Fuel pressure is 40psi and the injectors are firing at the right time. The Ron Francis harness is a little more expensive way of doing this conversion, but it makes it all plug and play. Plug everything into your sensors, hook up 3 wires (hot, key on, and ground), and your good to go. Fuel pump runs long enough to prime then shuts off until it is started.

The engine is a stock early model 302. I purchased it about 4 years ago and it had a 3 year warranty on it. I haven’t done any mods to it other than this fuel injection conversion. I did have to swap the cam out to change to the HO firing order. I wish I could have afforded to swap to a roller cam setup, but I couldn’t squeeze it into the budget. So I’m running a flat tappet RV cam for a 351w, and of course buying stock in a Zinc additive . I’m building this for a daily driver. Because of suspension and wiring upgrades there actually hadn’t been enough miles put on the motor to even wear off all the protective coating on the original cam. I of course did put new lifters in also.

I was going to snap a current pic of the engine today, but my wife got admitted to the hospital last night so I’m not at work today, which is where the truck is. I do have a pic with the plenum off this was mid build. With this pic you can see the fuel rail setup. I’m also putting a reference pic of the truck itself. Just because, well why not? I sure do appreciate all your help.
77010F3D-5B16-4DA1-B195-D386D774971E.jpeg
243185AF-0CB9-4FBF-B48F-F8386EDC6314.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Pretty hard to test those injectors without a spare rail
Not one like yours (too hard to plug the fuel ports you are not using)
I use one off a 2.3 Mustang or Ranger
You can shoot fuel injector cleaner thru them and watch the spray pattern
You will not get that far on some of yours because you will have cleaner all over if they leak or drizzle
While at the wrecking yard grab several injectors the same color as yours

Test each injector individually using a spare rail

I don’t have a spare rail. I do know the fpr is holding vacuum.

General
I installed a tank from a Bronco 2 in the frame and I’m running a stock pump from the bronco 2. Fuel lines from a short bed f150 with a single rear tank and the fuel rail off of a truck. I did that so the fuel lines go out the back and I could use all factory ford parts. Timing is set to 12 degrees with the spout disconnected. Fuel pressure is 40psi and the injectors are firing at the right time. The Ron Francis harness is a little more expensive way of doing this conversion, but it makes it all plug and play. Plug everything into your sensors, hook up 3 wires (hot, key on, and ground), and your good to go. Fuel pump runs long enough to prime then shuts off until it is started.

The engine is a stock early model 302. I purchased it about 4 years ago and it had a 3 year warranty on it. I haven’t done any mods to it other than this fuel injection conversion. I did have to swap the cam out to change to the HO firing order. I wish I could have afforded to swap to a roller cam setup, but I couldn’t squeeze it into the budget. So I’m running a flat tappet RV cam for a 351w, and of course buying stock in a Zinc additive . I’m building this for a daily driver. Because of suspension and wiring upgrades there actually hadn’t been enough miles put on the motor to even wear off all the protective coating on the original cam. I of course did put new lifters in also.

I was going to snap a current pic of the engine today, but my wife got admitted to the hospital last night so I’m not at work today, which is where the truck is. I do have a pic with the plenum off this was mid build. With this pic you can see the fuel rail setup. I’m also putting a reference pic of the truck itself. Just because, well why not? I sure do appreciate all your help.
77010F3D-5B16-4DA1-B195-D386D774971E.jpeg
243185AF-0CB9-4FBF-B48F-F8386EDC6314.jpeg
Sounds like your are using all the right stuff, fuel system sounds good.
Are the injectors new?

What is that fuel rail off of? That's not a typical 86+ Mustang rail.

I don't think it has anything to do with your issue but just trying to understand what parts you used to put this together.

Nope they aren’t eBay injectors, but I’m not sure if they are any better. Rockauto. Oh well. If I get a chance between my daughters t ball then I will try to check that this weekend. I sure appreciate y’all. Here is those current pics I told you I would get. I have a box built that goes around the air filter and seals to the hood. I have it off right now cause it’s kind of in the way when working on it.
DAA6ABDD-A0A1-40FC-959A-F50533A24D97.jpeg
D1B18D36-848F-4DD8-8686-00A55EBC0855.jpeg
D94112B1-335D-4DB7-AF00-6C7E2033EE29.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user