Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Issues

Eilermoon

Dec 18, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hey all, I've read through a few threads regarding these but didn't quite find a fix for my issue.

I received and installed the Raxiom sequential tail light harnesses from AM last week and put them in yesterday. Installation is ridiculously easy, so definitely no problems there. But after installation, when using the turn signal, only the center bulb of each light turns on and all turn signals are very fast now. Additionally, my hazards will correctly sequence only the center and outer bulbs, the inner bulbs will not come on at all. Lastly, when braking, all bulbs come on correctly.

I really don't think this is a bulb issues since all of these bulbs work fine in the OEM harness and I swapped them around to make sure it wasn't just the inner bulbs or something. Same problems no matter what bulb is where. To add another level of complexity, I have LEDs in my front headlights, which I read in another thread might screw up these harnesses.

Has anyone dealt with this or have insight? I know to look at both filaments, I've done that and all look great. I have the OEM relay in still, maybe it doesn't play nice with the Raxiom harnesses? Either way I've spoken to AM who immediately said they are defective and will replace them. I will absolutely do that, but I feel that both harnesses being 'defective' in the same exact way in strange and wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I find it hard to believe both of these harnesses are individually defective in the same way.

• Sponsors (?)

I installed the Webelectric kit on my 2002. Worked fine, but I don't have LEDs in the front yet.

Do you have a load resistor installed on the front LED bulbs? The fast flashing is because the car is sensing a bulb out, which is basically because it isn't seeing enough current being pulled but the blinker. An LED bulb pulls much less current than an incandescent, so the car can incorrectly detect a bulb out condition. The load resistor is intended to draw additional current in parallel with the LED blinker, to make it look to the car more like an incandescent bulb current draw. Waste of energy, but minor concern on the blinker. Just a theory, but perhaps because the combination of the LED in front and only the center light coming on at first in the sequential the car is detecting too low of current? With the stock harness, you have 3 incandescent bulbs coming on at once. I thought it would have detected the front separately, but I could be wrong on that.

I installed the Webelectric kit on my 2002. Worked fine, but I don't have LEDs in the front yet.

Do you have a load resistor installed on the front LED bulbs? The fast flashing is because the car is sensing a bulb out, which is basically because it isn't seeing enough current being pulled but the blinker. An LED bulb pulls much less current than an incandescent, so the car can incorrectly detect a bulb out condition. The load resistor is intended to draw additional current in parallel with the LED blinker, to make it look to the car more like an incandescent bulb current draw. Waste of energy, but minor concern on the blinker. Just a theory, but perhaps because the combination of the LED in front and only the center light coming on at first in the sequential the car is detecting too low of current? With the stock harness, you have 3 incandescent bulbs coming on at once. I thought it would have detected the front separately, but I could be wrong on that.
Hey, yeah I was thinking the same thing. Since I've posted this, I actually replaced my OEM relay under the dash which seems to have helped the issue. I suspected this may have contributed since I tried to swap it and the fast blinking happened when I reinstalled the OEM relay when the replacement didn't work well. I also swapped back to my OEM harnesses and had no change, so something else was up other than just the new harnesses. So I got a new replacement relay (Maybe the initial replacement was faulty?) and now it blinks at a normal pace.

It seems that has fixed one issue, but I do still have the 'inside' bulb of each tail light not turning on with the turn signals. The center and 'outside' bulbs sequence correctly but the inside one still does not come on at all. Sounds like I still have one more issue to troubleshoot. I may be checking the voltages of that inside socket to see if the socket itself is bad.