Rear brake line and dual exhaust question

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I just connected up the "over the axle" pipes and on the rear drivers side, the left/right distribution block that bolts to the top of the axle and the flex line hit the exhaust. Have you guys had this problem? Any suggestions?

Did they make a rear distribution and brake line setup that is better suited for dual exhaust?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if it is the same for a 68', but I ran into this problem when I went from the original single exhaust to dual exhaust on my 65'. There are different dist. blocks that mount on the rear axle depending on if the car came with single or dual exhaust. The location of the bracket for where the hard line running from the front meets the rubber line that goes to the dist. block was different on a 65' as well. For a single exhaust the bracket was more towards the driveshaft and dual exhaust is moved further away from the drive shaft moving it further from the exhaust. The brake line running from the master cylinder to the back was also different, when I installed the correct one for dual exhaust it was clear where the bracket needed to be relocated back there due to the shape and bends of the line. Hopefully someone with a 68' can chime in...

I don't know about the 68 but like Raleighstang65 I had the same issue with my 66. I changed from single to factory type dual and found the hard line and flex line definately were going to different places. I cut the spot welds out to rempove the mounting plate and them I moved it outward to where the hard line would accept it. Everything works fine now. Do you have a factory shop manual? When I ran into my problem the sketches in the manual helped me fogure out the problem.

On my 67 when I put the Magnaflow system on I took the bracket the holds the block on the axle tube and flatened it out. This way I could move it around a bit for clearence. It worked pretty well got decent spacing, and just crancked down on the vent nut. I put all new brake lines on at the same time. I don't have any pictures though....

Had to adjust mine with the Magnaflow kit too. Twisted the bracket a little and bent it a little. Still close but got just enough clearance.

Well after laying the garage floor for a while, I did just this. I twisted the axle mounting plate, then angled (twisted) the plate that mounts on the underside just beside the frame rail. The two angle changes have given me 3 1/2"s of distance from exhaust. This should be just fine.

Thanks for the input guys. These little things drive me crazy. LOL :rlaugh: