Rear brake setup--drum (ranger) or disk (sn95)?

I am doing a 5-lug conversion on the GT (using 98 GT wheels) and have 94-95 front setup. I can get a rear setup from a v6 from which I would pirate the axles, brakes, lines, etc. I can get all of this for 100 bux.

or: I can scrounge around the yards for some ranger axles/drums. All of the places around here won't split up a rear end. I have to buy the whole thing or one yard said I can have two ranger rears for 100 bux.

Is it worth the hassle to get the 95 v6 setup? Is 100 a fair price? Can I use the axles in my stock housing. I know my rear wheels will be limited to 8 inch, but if I change to wider I can get the axles later.

What do y'all think?

• Sponsors (?)

do the rear disk...but you'll need to grab a MC/booster setup as well.

A PITA but well worth it. Most of the fade of the fox brakes came from the rear drums. Upgrading to disks will help

88ssp said:
I know my rear wheels will be limited to 8 inch, but if I change to wider I can get the axles later.

What do y'all think?

Umm, not exactly. If you decide to go back to fox length axles later you will have to ditch the SN-95 bracketry and go with something like the north racecars brackets. This is why it's best to decide what you want to run the first time so you aren't buying new parts over again.

Mustang5L5 said:
do the rear disk...but you'll need to grab a MC/booster setup as well.

A PITA but well worth it. Most of the fade of the fox brakes came from the rear drums. Upgrading to disks will help

i've heard otherwise? somewhere i remember hearing that the 73mm svo caliper upgrade up front is worth more braking power than a rear disc setup, but i plan on doing both along with a 5lug swap and a 93 cobra MC setup all at once :banana:

btw... 98 gt wheels on a fox :drool:

That's a great price for the brakes. In my opinion the Northracecars brackets are the way to go. FWIW I have riden(?) rode(?) roden(?, whatever) in a fox with the Ranger rear drum upgade in the rear and SN95 brakes up fornt, and it stopped way better than a stock setup.

Yeah, I was gonna just do the rear drums, but I figger for the price, I can just do the disks and then upgrade to cobra specs at a later time. when I do that, I will probably do the gears, the heavier duty axles, North Race Cars brackets and so on.

I'm starting my new job next week and want to save up some money before I blow it all on brake stuff.

In a perfect world I would get teh fox-length axles, the north race car brackest and these rears and be good to go.

It's gonna be more involved than I have ever gotten (grammer?) into my car brake-wise as it is.

Oh and the wheels are gonna look awesome on the car--don't see many of them around with the setup.