Rear caliper rebuild

twood72

Mar 21, 2019
Putnam, CT
I rebuilt some rear brake calipers on on 2000 GT and cant seem to get the dust boots on no matter what i do. I have tried every possible combination but cant seem to get them to seat in the caliper while putting the piston back in. Any suggestions would be great. This driving me nuts.

• Sponsors (?)

i was messing with with some pistons like that last year trying to get the boots on. I used a little bit of vaseline to get them to slide instead of gripping. Did you google it or youtube it to see if anyone has some trick? IIRC mine finally just went in and stayed by luck.

I sidnt think of vaseline but i thought to try some grease. I am going to try the vaseline thing tonight. I appreciate the help from you and everyone else who has responded. If I know how to do so many other things why shouldnt i know how to reassemble a caliper if you know what i mean.

What was your process for the rebuild? Thinking of doing similar on mine, had a bad experience with a set of Powerstop replacements. The pads would not fit into the new rear caliper brackets with the clips on. Got a second set from Summit with the same issue, went back and forth with a tech at Powerstop and he had the same issue with the stock they had in house. Ended up sending the rears back and putting my stock ones back on. Would like to clean them up and possibly get them powder coated to look nicer and be easier to maintain.

I wanted to give an update. It was my own stupidity. As soon as i went crazy on cleaning the groove where the seal sits and used a little grease the seal stayed put. Thanks for the thoughts on the vaseline Joe Jr. Now i should be able to do the blind folded. My next project is an AWD fox body. Lets see how this works out.

twood72 - What was your process for the rebuild? The Chilton and Haynes manuals both say that rear calipers take special tools to rebuild and that you should just purchase refurbished. I have a set of takeoff 98 Cobra rear calipers I'd like to clean up, get powder coated, and rebuild to put on my GT. If you have any pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim