Brakes Rear Calipers Prep for Powder Coating

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
I am about to finish up the front brakes for the powder coating job. They were super simple to tear down when comparing to the rear calipers. Since the fronts are Brembo I went with a Ford Taurus rear calipers to maintain the 70/30 split.

One thing to note is, I am not willing to tear down the rear calipers as it seems pretty involved and I don't want to mess them up. Is it safe to powder coat the calipers without tearing them apart? If not then I will most likely paint them with that crappy caliper paint.

What are your thoughts?

Before / After powder coat job:

Photo Jun 30, 11 21 38 AM.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The heat will mess up the rubber seals inside. There’s no garantee they will survive the temps used for powdercoating.

You should break them down for powdercoating.

You can even buy the 38mm and 43mm rear calipers already powdercoated for $150 for the pair. DADA0531-B63B-4C1C-97BA-C87A14CB619D.png

Painting is fine. I did mine in the VHT caliper paint with a decal and clear and it’s held up. That’s how I did my front ATS brembos. I also did my current C6 calipers 4-5 years ago and they’ve held up great with paint. It’s all about the prep. My rear calipers are the above powdercoated ones.

ABEC06B5-EFE4-4B02-AB92-78ADCC9686D0.jpeg

Last edited: