Brakes Rear center banjo bolt torque?

fox racer v2

Jun 2, 2019
Brooklyn
Does anyone have the torque spec on the center rear banjo bolt for the J&M stainless lines?

I torqued mine down by hand, but after about ~500 miles it has a very slow leak. It shows up only if I hit the brakes with engine on, not off (need power assist I suppose). The leak does not show up immediately after use, but overnight there’s a bit of a puddle (after absorbing into cardboard, smaller than a coffee cup). Brakes don’t feel super soft soft or pedal to floor like a catastrophic failure but naturally concerned.

I torque to 20ft/lbs and notice it still occurs but less so (not quite half as much, but about half as much). The obvious answer is tighten it more, but I’d like a spec so I don’t snap the thing.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Little piece of dirt in there? Get a new crush washer, take it back off and make sure the sealing surface is clean with no burrs or pits. I have the same lines and tightened it down until it started to compress the copper washer. Should seal no problem without overtightening. I got a new banjo bolt off ebay for mine.

Little piece of dirt in there? Get a new crush washer, take it back off and make sure the sealing surface is clean with no burrs or pits. I have the same lines and tightened it down until it started to compress the copper washer. Should seal no problem without overtightening. I got a new banjo bolt off ebay for mine.
Thinking that’s my only option - LMR felt the same. Was hoping the spec was in the mid 20s and could be as simple as too loose. Worst case my “calibrated elbow” was out of spec.
All other banjos (front and rear) tightened to spec no problem. The rear center was the only one done by hand.

Make sure you replace both washers, one on each side of the banjo fitting, make sure there are no washers stuck on the fitting or the bracket, I had similar problem and I left a washer on one side, two on one side = leak.

Thanks all - I’ll likely swap out the copper washers to be safe. Since I’ll have some downtime while that ships, I’m going to try torquing down a tick more just to scratch the inquisitive itch.

Last edited: