Rear Differential Fluid

I know Jiffy-lube is full of :bs: but this guy over there showed me that there is a rear differential fluid that needs to be changed (according to the computer every 3000 miles)...I wasnt aware of this fluid, and it doesnt seem like the previous owner changed it....they also told me that it needs synthetic oil....

My car has 50k miles on it...do i need to change this fluid? every how many miles?

• Sponsors (?)

The Jiffy Lube guy is a retard...

Yes, at 50k a proactive person would change diff fluid, a lazy person would wait until closer to 100k.

It does require synthetic gear oil 75W-140 with 4 ounces of friction modifier.

I suggest you do it yourself or wait to do it but in any case do not go back to that Jiffy Lube, EVER.

hahaha Yea I usually dont listen to anything they say and just get my oil changed there....but the weird thing is that the computer really showed like pictures and info about the rear differential fluid and it said that it needs to be changed every 3000 miles?!?! are they that much of a ripoff?

Well, every Jiffy Lube is different. There is one I used to go to that is very good and has professional and skilled employees.

I would not go back to that particular one however.

No way is 3k the interval for diff fluid. Like I said anywhere between 50k and 100k is correct.

"Jiffy Lube, where we lube your ass up and pound it in a jiffy".

They once quoted me $42 for an oil change when I first moved down to ATL and didn't have my tools down here yet. Needless to say, I went to Goodyear and got it done for $22.

Write the company and attach a copy of Ford's maintenance schedule which says the fluid is lifetime and never needs to be changed unless you use it as a taxi or suspect it's been contaminated (e.g. drove through a ton of water or something.)

Don't go to jiffy lube or any other quick lube places. I had friends that worked there. Trust me you would never go back if you heard some of the stories i have heard.

BTW, the newer Mustangs do use synthetic fluid in the diff. There is a tag on the cover that says synthetic fluid only

Henceforward said:
Man I am surprized at how many people still get scammed at Jiffy Lube...

Read up kids, JIFFY LUBE will bend you over, "lube" you up, and you know the rest.

what?! Jiffly lube at your area at least lube u up before stick it to you?!

Not one around here:nonono:

02bluegtstang said:
I know Jiffy-lube is full of :bs: but this guy over there showed me that there is a rear differential fluid that needs to be changed (according to the computer every 3000 miles)...I wasnt aware of this fluid, and it doesnt seem like the previous owner changed it....they also told me that it needs synthetic oil....

My car has 50k miles on it...do i need to change this fluid? every how many miles?

Jiffy lube put 7 quarts of oil in my car....instead of 5:jaw: :bang: :nonono:

F^ck those guys to hell!

Haynes book recommends differential fluid change every 65k miles. Put mobil 1 synthetic 75w-140 with Ford friction modifier and you'll be good:)

My Haynes manual says to chance your differential fluid
every 4 years or 60K miles whatever comes first.Yes your
rear end calls for 75W140 synthetic gear oil.You don't have to
use friction modifier if the gear oil already has it in it like Royal Purple
gear oil.Also I belive your 8.8" rear end takes 3 quarts.
Do yourself a favor and avoid Jiffy Lube at all costs because
they have screwed peoples' cars up in the past.
Change it yourself like I do it's fun! :nice: