rear differential gasket or just grey rtv ?

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
Since my car not running right now, Im order some royal purple tranny and rear differential fluid.

1. its ok to use Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil on my 1998 gt ? hayness manual say I should use SAE 80W-90GL fluid.

2. I went to ford dealer and asking for gasket for my rear diff, they told me that I should use some grey silicon, cause they dont make gasket for my car, what should I do now, I really want to use gasket with grey silicon. and where can I buy the gasket ?

3. Should I use locktie on all the bolt include fill bolt ?

4. What kind of rear diff i had ?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Running the RP 75w90 in my car right now, got it from American Muscle when I bought my gears and got them installed :nice:

As for a gasket, there isn't one that I know of? :shrug: You'll be fine with a nice bead of the silicone around the entire thing.

I wouldn't exactly use locktite on the bolts, just periodically check to see if you have a leak (it'll be easy to notice if you do).

I drain all the fluid out today, and put my had on the gear and found some black oil slug, should I clean it off the gear teeth ? BTW my gear oil not going to be here until next week, its ok to leave the rear diff dry ?( im not driving it )

How do you guy fill the fluid to rear diff ?

do not use a gasket.. I have seen quite a few rear ends run dry because of badly leaking gaskets..

I seal all rear ends I work on the way the factory does..... With RTV

+1 on high temp RTV silicone. You can leave it dry for a week, that's fine. You fill it by opening a hole in the front part of the pumpkin and sqeuzing as much as you can in it b4 quickly plugging the hole back up.