rear end fluid question?

• Sponsors (?)

:stupid: BUT the only reason i went with that was because the rear end is in great need of replacement and i couldnt justify paying that much for the 140... i would always go with what ford says run... why i still use motorcraft oil and filters :D

thanks for the responses I put in the mobil one 75w140 and some limited slip additive:nice:

Good. It's wise to use the synthetic spec diff fluid. At the same time, you might want to change out the trans fluid while it's on the lift .

I had used a Jiffy lube, and the tech pocketed the friction modifier one time when I had the diff fluid changed.

The last time, I had a trusted tech do the drain and refill , and he used the generic friction modifier I handed him.

It's all good though - my goal is to remove the metal shavings from normal wear, and add fresh fluid. Diffs do generate a lot of heat, and fluids break down, though the Ford recommended intervals are generous enough.

I had used a Jiffy lube, and the tech pocketed the friction modifier one time when I had the diff fluid changed.

How could you see him do this (underneath your car)? And if you know he 'pocketed' the FM, why didn't you say anything?

I hesitate taking either of our vehicles to Jiffy Lube or any quickie place. I recall the last time I was at Jiffy Lube - as part of their service will top off all of your fluids...but what they don't tell you is what they top them off with...
Ummm, for the windshield washer fluid, they simply filled it with water. :mad:
I wasn't quite sure, but I kinda wondered when he was filling it with what appeared to be a garden hose...when I got home, I noticed it was clear fluid - aka water. :bs: (Is windshield washer fluid that expensive?)
In addition, they typically leave oil dripping down all over the place underneath, off of the K Member, sway bar, etc - making you wonder if you have an oil leak when you spot drops on your garage floor. I know the Mustang Oil Filter is in a weird location, but come on, fellas...

I hesitate taking either of our vehicles to Jiffy Lube or any quickie place. I recall the last time I was at Jiffy Lube - as part of their service will top off all of your fluids...but what they don't tell you is what they top them off with...
Ummm, for the windshield washer fluid, they simply filled it with water. :mad:
I wasn't quite sure, but I kinda wondered when he was filling it with what appeared to be a garden hose...when I got home, I noticed it was clear fluid - aka water. :bs: (Is windshield washer fluid that expensive?)
In addition, they typically leave oil dripping down all over the place underneath, off of the K Member, sway bar, etc - making you wonder if you have an oil leak when you spot drops on your garage floor. I know the Mustang Oil Filter is in a weird location, but come on, fellas...

Yeah, I was there once for an oil change, and they tried to put it a seventh quart of oil into the engine when all it needs is six. They were going just by the dipstick readings and they ignored the owner's manual.

Jiffy Lube will not be getting my business.
DIY ftw.

Jiffy Lube is our best customer. I love those guys. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be replacing engines and transmissions for them. They even screw up the KIA's and myself and the KIA adviser know their corporate claims rep by name now. I love it when new customers tell us, they will be using Jiffy Lube for their oil changes during their service walk.

Funny how some of those people come in with problems due to Jiffy lube not using a crush washer on the drain plug, or the wrong oil filter is used, or they yanked on the transmission filter, saw the red fluid coming out, then tightened it back on and didn't tell anyone they put a hole in it and the rest of the trans fluid drained out. Either way you pay.

Yeah, I was there once for an oil change, and they tried to put it a seventh quart of oil into the engine when all it needs is six. They were going just by the dipstick readings and they ignored the owner's manual.

Jiffy Lube will not be getting my business.
DIY ftw.

My car calls for 6 quarts and I put in 6.5- 7 because the dipstick is low on 6. It is known that Mustangs take more oil than what the owners manual states.:shrug:

Jiffy Lube is our best customer. I love those guys. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be replacing engines and transmissions for them. They even screw up the KIA's and myself and the KIA adviser know their corporate claims rep by name now. I love it when new customers tell us, they will be using Jiffy Lube for their oil changes during their service walk.

Funny how some of those people come in with problems due to Jiffy lube not using a crush washer on the drain plug, or the wrong oil filter is used, or they yanked on the transmission filter, saw the red fluid coming out, then tightened it back on and didn't tell anyone they put a hole in it and the rest of the trans fluid drained out. Either way you pay.

Dude- I work for VW. Many professional techs can't work on these cars, let alone Jiffy lube haha. I'd say- new engines or transmissions are replaced by us because of Jiffy Lube on average- once every two months. Parts and the service manager also know their claims rep. by name

Side note- my car takes EXACTLY what the owners manual states- actually, the specified amount is more than what my car takes. 5.5 and im right on the full line. my moms takes 6. 7 quarts is insane- i'm 100% sure no stock SN95 mustang takes 7 quarts.

ok so I also ended up putting in some limited slip additive with 75w140 mobil one hopefully that was ok let me know if you know thanks

I did the same with the Mobil....
If you read the bottle it says something like "for severe applications additional additive might be needed".
I figured the Mustang fit the bill :lol:

It can't hurt anything....

I'm rotflmao reading your post!!

Right on the money dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try taking a VW Jetta to those idiots some time.
ALL SPECIAL FLUIDS, except the windshield washer stuff.......

Most can only be purchased at a VW dealer.....

Oh sure, the **** they put in will work enough to get you off the lot however when your PS rack starts leaking 2 weeks later you will learn.
When your tranny falls out you will learn.
When your coolant system has problems you will learn...
Yep even the antifreeze is special....and all are BIG BUCKS.....
Don't even think of using the "All in one stuff"....See the VW boards for details...

All the more reason to avoid VW/Porsche/Audi BTW unless you have new teenage drivers in which case I will advise you that VW builds some of the safest cars on the road, seriously......

Well Subaru's do take special fluids like Coolant and power steering. We do see many quick lubes draining the transmission and adding engine oil. So now I get a WRX coming in with no transmission fluid with a locked up transmission and busted case and 8 quarts of oil in the engine. Matter of fact, we just replaced a transmission on a Forester the other week for that very issue.