Rear End Noise - Bad Carrier Bearings

95Cbra5O

Founding Member
Jan 17, 2001
Round Rock, TX
I have a 2014 GT with about 29,000 miles on it. I started getting a metal on metal noise from the rear end about 5,000 miles ago. So I took it to the dealership and they ended up replacing the carrier bearings. I picked it up and it seemed to be somewhat better. I thought all noise I was hearing was normal due to suspension mods: pro-kit springs, bmr rear lower control arms, relocation brackets, and an adjustable panhard bar. Since then it has gotten worse.

So i took it back yesterday and they said the carrier bearings are bad again (one severely worn and the other cracked) and they were going to do a "one time" replacement of the differential housing and carrier bearings. I was told that they are going bad because of too many hard launches. To be honest I do not drive the car very hard and have very rarely launched it.

Two problems
1) the differential housing is on back order and they do not have an ETA on when it will arrive and this is my daily driver.
2) I am concerned that this will happen again in the future and I will have to foot the bill even while still under the drivetrain warranty.

Could anyone elaborate on what is happening to make the carrier bearings go bad?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)