Rear end noise from 35-55 MPH, sounds like a bad tire but I know its not.

Primo

Jun 9, 2003
Phoenix
I have swapped over to a solid axle, and think I have a bad bearing some where inside the rear end. I had some bald tires on, which led me to suspect the tires were causing the noise, but I just got new ones put on and the noise is still there (I also put on a set of friends tires to rull out a bad tire). It sounds like a whirring noise or a humming noise from 35-55 mph, but you cant hear it above or below those speeds. Would it be a bad axle bearing or perhaps a carrier bearing? The noise is there on decel or accel with clutch in or out, so I think I can rule out the gears.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem with my 96 GT. I had the rear diff. bearings ALL changed, and they also did rear wheel bearings . Got car back quiet and smooth with no noise. SOunds like you have rear diff issues, and not to rule out a wheel bearing either.....

coramprat said:
Is it a pulsing type of noise? Sort of a "whoomp whoomp whoomp"? Mine was the carrier bearing...but I'd do the wheel bearings too.

yes, exactly. its kind of hard to explain. its not a whine, but a whoomp noise, but you can only hear it at a certain speed.

OK, the noise does not go away while changing lanes. I put a 3rd set of wheels on my car last night and the noise was still there. this is not very smart, but I put jackstands under my axle last night, took it to 45 MPH and you could clearly hear it. Its not the tires. Does that rule out axle bearings? If I change carrier bearings and races, I will most likely be charged the same price as a gear install since they have to set it up again anyway. I might as well just have them through new bearings in the whole rear end. Also, on hard left and right turns I'm getting a moan or binding sound. Damnit!