Rear end noise over speed bumps

Maxium

Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, I get a rear end noise going over bumps or holes, but is most easily replicated over speed bumps. It's a high pitched metallic clunk. More like a "pliiiing" almost like tapping the exhaust pipe with a wrench. I've checked the clearance of the exhaust over the rear end/ under the body and it looks ok. I've also double checked the bolts for my control arms and sway bar. I just can't figure it out. If you could imagine a tire rolling over a speed bump, it makes the noise on the initial hit of the bump and then again on the downward slope of the bump (if that makes sense/helps). I was just wondering if you guys could help me brain storm. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't go over speed bumps anymore :shrug: :D

Just messin with ya... I had this same problem after I installed FLSFC's but it only happened when I turned right. Turns out my MAC mufflers were really close to the SFC on the left side. I loosened everything up and adjusted the exhaust and the noise went away. It was the same exact type of sound you are describing. The exhaust could be hitting the axle tubes, mufflers could be hitting the SFC's, etc... what kind of exhaust do you have?

Can you jack the car up and support the rear by placing jack stands under each end of the axle tubes so the suspension is loaded back there? Once that is done, get under there and start trying to move the exhaust pipes around by hand and see if you can replicate the noise. Be careful though, and ensure your jack stands are good and sturdy before you get under there and start tugging on the exhaust.

Hey, thanks for the response. I wish I could never go over speed bumps! But yah, I figured it was something to do with the exhaust. I have stock mid-pipe (that I would love to replace with a aftermarket catted one) and weld in flows. I've tried before doing what you suggested but unfortunately there isn't much play from the cats back. Perhaps the motor needs to be adjusted at the mounts? Unless there's another way to adjust the exhaust positioning that I'm missing. Not a big deal I guess, but little noises like that bother me and it's kind of embarrassing.

Only thing i could suggest is check your control arms bolts again. I had the same problems with going over bumps couldnt find the noise and i would jack my car up and couldnt find anything. Well last weekend i jacked it up on the rear axel and found the the bolts were loose. the only reason i couldnt ever tell was because i was lifting from the body and putting pressure from the axle onto the bolts and so when i lifted from the axle there was no pressure.

Hmm, I may have to try that method and check the bolts again then since I've always tried to load the axle up when tightening the control arm bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hear that noise all the time in the 05-08 CVPI squads we have. I had the mechanic look into it on mine, and it was a heat shield in the back hitting one of the tailpipes. It sure as hell is annoying, especially when you're driving on crap roads for a full 8-12 hour shift!