Rear end noise, see video.

krtw

Sep 18, 2009
Oregon
Need help with rear end noise, I can hear a "thunk" type noise when I take off from a stop.....not all the time but enough to be annoying. Sounds like a bad U-joint but the U-joints check out good. I opened up the diff. to look inside, check out my video. I am not sure how much play there should be when moving the rear wheels back and forth....seems a bit much to me. I am pretty sure the noise in the video is the same I hear when driving. Any ideas?

video link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v669/krtw/?action=view&current=MVI_1335.flv

• Sponsors (?)

That seems like thats just noise from the clutch pack locating tabs personally. If you have the cover off, you should be checking the backlash between the ring and pinion. Who did your gear install? How long has it been since they were intalled? If you take the side bearing caps off, does the diff want to just fall out easily or is in there pretty good? There should be .012 of preload on the diff, so it should require a little bit of effort to remove it.

And to note, backlash should be between .008 and .014, though ideally you want it between .010 and .012. If for example they were setup on the high side, at .012 theres a chance that over time the backlash has come out of spec. Just tossing out ideas. I would have said U joints as a first guess as well but if they check out good...