Roush Rear Gear / Lube question(s)

BobV

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 18, 2003
Leavenworth, KS
Started on the brake upgrade last night. Only had an hour, so I just got the car on stands, wheels off, and drained the rearend. I'm doing the Mach I 13" F & 12" R setup with plain black calipers and plain rotors - want it to "look stock", but stop better and fill the wheels a little more. ;) It's 99% street & I scored a nice deal on a new Mach setup, so I couldn't see doing the Brembos.

The rearend has the "75W140 synthetic tag" on it. What's the opinion on 75W140 vs 75W90??? As you can guess, I picked up 75W90 Royal Purple in advance, and am debating whether it's worth the trip to exchange it or not...:bang:

2nd question. I've always heard/read that the 00 SC cars had 3.08 gears. Mine has a 3L27 tag on it. Did Saleen swap the gears from 3.27 back to 3.08 on the SC cars? I could see them ordering the cars with 3.08's in them, but it seems like it would be unusual to take all the 3.27 SC cars and change them to 3.08's. :shrug: Obviously, I plan to do a tooth count and find out for sure what's in there, but just looking for some background.....

• Sponsors (?)

BobV said:
I've always heard/read that the 00 SC cars had 3.08 gears. Mine has a 3L27 tag on it. Did Saleen swap the gears from 3.27 back to 3.08 on the SC cars? I could see them ordering the cars with 3.08's in them, but it seems like it would be unusual to take all the 3.27 SC cars and change them to 3.08's. :shrug: Obviously, I plan to do a tooth count and find out for sure what's in there, but just looking for some background.....

Yes, they came with 3.08s only, no option for anything else. Saleen changed them "for EPA reasons".

FWIW, tooth count on mine IS 36 & 11 = 3.27 gears. The gears have Ford numbers on them, and the rear doesn't appear to have been tampered with... Saleen either "ooops'd" and slid this one thru, or somebody swapped back to 3.27's, using all Ford parts.

If they went to all that trouble, they should've at least gone 3.55! :D