rear gears and I beat the storm

Bolt on 5.0

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Suffolk, NY
Getting hit by a noreastern today so I was stressing yesterday to get my car back together.

I just replaced my 4.10 gears out for 3.55 gears. What a difference. The car is alot more streetable now. Did them in my driveway. Let me just say to anyone that if you are working outside do not attemp to do this because it sucks enough just doing them on you back. But with the wind and all it just sucks. On a lift this is a timely job but not too hard. Set them up and all is good. Here is the site I used for specs

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Not all the info you might need but alot of good advice. To anyone that wants to attempt this install a few basic things you need to know is. Backlash= amount of play in the rind to pinion gear. And preload= amount of force needed to turn the pinion gear. Those items are not explained in the about tutorial. Expaect this job to take from 6-8 hours if you havent done it before. If you have a lift a press and shop tools 3-4 hours.

• Sponsors (?)

how much SOTP feel did u lose when stepping to the 3.55s?

i was considering going from my 3.90s to 3.55s for driveability and to be able to stay in each gear a little longer....