Rear Lower Control Arms

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Boy, this is going to be a long shot and probably very controversial. Without all my normal details, I'll just ask. Does anyone have a factory fresh set of rear lower control arms for an 87-93 car? Or know where I can get them? I'll try to answer replies on my phone after this post the best I can so sorry ahead of time if it's short.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

What do you mean by factory fresh? I have a set that were removed from my '93 at around 30k miles and are in great shape.

Reactions: 1 user
The bushings are replaceable. Rock Auto sells OEM rubber ones or upgraded polyurethane. I'd just get the rubber ones unless you plan on replacing everything with poly.
Oh no....I have MM control arms now. I used to have all Energy Suspension bushings, mounts, etc. Hated it. My whole thinking is to put it back to factory. I've replaced every single performance suspension piece back to factory trying to find the harshness. Only thing left is these control arms.

The bushings are replaceable. Rock Auto sells OEM rubber ones or upgraded polyurethane. I'd just get the rubber ones unless you plan on replacing everything with poly.
Just went on Rockauto. They list no bushings for rear lower control arms. I didn't think they did but when you posted that I thought I had missed them. If you see them please tell me what I'm missing.

IMAG0628.jpg
IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

Oh no....I have MM control arms now. I used to have all Energy Suspension bushings, mounts, etc. Hated it. My whole thinking is to put it back to factory. I've replaced every single performance suspension piece back to factory trying to find the harshness. Only thing left is these control arms.

I have the MM HD lowers with stock uppers. I never really thought of them as harsh at all.

I spoke with Maximum Motorsports yesterday. I gave them the scoop on what I wanted to accomplish with the car as well as what the current suspension setup is. They highly suggested two changes. First is to change from the HD lower rear controls arms to their Sport Lowers. These have poly at both ends and no spherical bearing. The other mod would be to get rid of the Ford Racing B springs. Sadly these aren't very old...lol. I actually had the Ford Racing C springs in for a long time and man that was awful. Should have expected that as I bought them from a guy that put them on his car and hated them because of harshness. Duh!! They suggested finding some H&R Sport Springs used maybe since funding is terrible right now. I'm honestly tired of swapping springs because it costs me an alignment every time I do. Thoughts? Opinions? :)

FYI - I currently have the following:
Ford Racing M-5300-B Springs with Isolators
KYB Shock and Strut Kit as sold by LMR https://lmr.com/item/KYB-235005-K/mustang-kyb-gas-a-just-shock-strut-kit-7993
MM Caster Camber Plates
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors (single best thing ever done to my car)
Lower G-Load brace (given to me so I put it on back then...may in fact be worthless)
All new factory style rubber bushings/mounts everywhere (replaced every single Energy Suspension bushing/mount I had)
Removed my MM strut tower brace
245/45-17 Ultra High Performance All Season tires (very noticeable improvement over the Nitto 555's)
Factory Tri-Bars painted to match 93 Cobra-R wheels
What am I missing????? Just ask.

Last edited:
I had the C springs before. They sucked. Same rear spring but the fronts were linear rate. Biggest issue was they were low so I bottomed out my struts everywhere. I ran Tokico blues and they weren't up to the task.

I swapped them out for Mach 1 springs which are the same exact rates...but ride quality went way up! I've since swapped to coil overs and bilstiens so we'll see how they work.

But one other thing I'd say might be suspect are the KYBs. Did MM have any recommendations on those?

The sport arms are new, but honestly since I ditched the C springs I really don't notice any harshness in my rear with the HD arms that have one spherical bearing. Given the cost of new arms, perhaps hold off on buying new arms til you change a few other items?

I had the C springs before. They sucked. Same rear spring but the fronts were linear rate. Biggest issue was they were low so I bottomed out my struts everywhere. I ran Tokico blues and they weren't up to the task.

I swapped them out for Mach 1 springs which are the same exact rates...but ride quality went way up! I've since swapped to coil overs and bilstiens so we'll see how they work.

But one other thing I'd say might be suspect are the KYBs. Did MM have any recommendations on those?

The sport arms are new, but honestly since I ditched the C springs I really don't notice any harshness in my rear with the HD arms that have one spherical bearing. Given the cost of new arms, perhaps hold off on buying new arms til you change a few other items?

Actually, I was looking at the Koni STR.T kit a year ago when I was chasing the problem. At the time I had been running Tokico Illumina 5-ways (white) for over 10 years and never really liked them. So I called MM and talked to one of the guys and he is the one that recommended the KYB's. I was limited by budget but told him I could swing the Koni STR.T's probably but he said in all honesty that given the situation and what I was doing with the car that the KYB's or even the NAPA replacements (highest priced ones) would be good. He said he put the NAPA ones on one of his foxes and it was fine to him. I took notes on that whole conversation (as I always do) so I have every word he said written down so my old self can refer back to it...lol. So I went with the KYB kit. I had just put the full length subs on before I did the shock/strut change and the subs actually made more difference than the shock/struts as far as eliminating some road roughness. The tires I put on made the second best difference. Still though when I hit a bad bump in the road in this car it's terrible. Sounds like the rear end of a pulpwood truck....feels like it too. MM did tell me that coil overs would be the ultimate ride for me if I could ever afford them. Probably never will be able to do that though.

The springs you have are terrible riding springs as confirmed by others . KYBS are the worst and most harsh riding shocks I ever put in a mustang . I had tockico blues with eibach pro kit springs and it rode like a slightly lowered car but very close to stock . I’ve also ridden in cars with the h&r sports and they were awesome as well . The one solid bushing on one side of the arm doesn’t sound like where your issue lies . Are solid joints clanky ? Sure . Would they jar you a bit on a huge bump ?absolutely . They are not going to make the whole car ride harsh though . I run totally solid bushings on my upper arms and rear bushings and my car isn’t that harsh . Slightly clanky but not harsh

IMO your harshness sounds to me like it’s that spring and shock combo.

• Agree
The springs you have are terrible riding springs as confirmed by others . KYBS are the worst and most harsh riding shocks I ever put in a mustang . I had tockico blues with eibach pro kit springs and it rode like a slightly lowered car but very close to stock . I’ve also ridden in cars with the h&r sports and they were awesome as well . The one solid bushing on one side of the arm doesn’t sound like where your issue lies . Are solid joints clanky ? Sure . Would they jar you a bit on a huge bump ?absolutely . They are not going to make the whole car ride harsh though . I run totally solid bushings on my upper arms and rear bushings and my car isn’t that harsh . Slightly clanky but not harsh

IMO your harshness sounds to me like it’s that spring and shock combo.
I get what you are saying. Sadly though, the harshness was there before the shocks and springs.

So I'm reasonably certain that the rear lower control arms are responsible for the screeching sound as the rear end goes over bumps. This is just one part of the harshness I've been describing. My choices according to Maximum Motorsports are a set of the new Sport Lowers or new urethane bushing kit for the ones I currently have. Those bushings are $40. Now I need to decide if I want to just sell these and put that money into the new Sport version. I'd hate to spend more money on these and it not do anything. MM suggested pulling these arms and greasing the existing bushings and putting them back on to see if that helps. They have grease fittings but they said I need to grease the outside of the bushings good (where it touches the box) and see if that helps. I hate going to all that trouble. I have no lift so I will be working on the ground. Forgot to ask which grease to use???