Engine Rear main seal still dripping, been replaced twice!!

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Took the fox to a shop to get the leaky rear main seal replaced. When I got it back it was still leaking. Shop owner said no problem I took it back and he changed it again for me. I have the car again now and it’s still dripping! Are there any tips for this or maybe a certain rear main seal to buy that I should now about or bring to him when I go the third time?

• Sponsors (?)

Copied this from my build thread. So far, it seems to have worked well!

Ford 5.0's are notorious for leaking rear main seals. I want to prevent that at all costs. Installed Fel-Pro's crankshaft repair sleeve.
Fel-Pro 16250 crank repair sleeve
I ran a thin film of this on the inside before I tapped it on....
Loctite 518 Flange Sealer
I also used Ford Racings RMS to button it all up.....
Ford Racing rear main seal
When I install the flywheel I'll slather thread sealant on the bolts and that should prevent any RMS leaks.

RMS repair sleeve1.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Perfect! That’s good to know. I should have done more research on this before hand, I didn’t know it was such a common issue. Would you happen to have the part number for the installation tool for that repair sleeve?

Would you happen to have the part number for the installation tool for that repair sleeve?

Felpro 16300

I did the same repair on my car. Seal only eventually leaked shortly after. I used the 16250 sleeve and so far so good (fingers crossed). I did see a slight wear line on my crank which is why i went with the sleeve

Felpro 16300

I did the same repair on my car. Seal only eventually leaked shortly after. I used the 16250 sleeve and so far so good (fingers crossed). I did see a slight wear line on my crank which is why i went with the sleeve
I don’t know if it got discontinued or if it’s out of stock everywhere but no one has it. This eBay listing of a different branded tool is all I can find but the bio says it’s the same. Does it look like how yours looked?

Let us know Anthony. I have done a couple RMS also and still have a dripping mess. Soon I am pulling this transmission again and doing a sleeve. I need a reason to feel good about pulling this tranny again.

I don’t know if it got discontinued or if it’s out of stock everywhere but no one has it. This eBay listing of a different branded tool is all I can find but the bio says it’s the same. Does it look like how yours looked?

It does look like the tool has been discontinued.

I no longer have mine, but that’s what it looked like. Wish I still had it as I could whip up a CAD dwg.

The tool is nothing special ( except the price) looks like a piece of pipe the correct diameter to hammer the seal on....
Are you sure its your crank seal? Do you have sealant on your crank bolts?? They can leak also.....

Repair sleeve is the way to go. The last one I did I didn’t use any install tool or anything, just tapped it in nice and square with stuff I had sitting around the shop. Don’t forget some seal retaining compound around the id of the sleeve.

Hey guys I just stumbled across this thread and I had a question about the rear main seal. I just replaced my clutch on my 92 GT and while I had it apart I replaced the rear main seal. I'm having the same problem as everyone else; my brand new seal is leaking. So after reading this thread I think I'm going to attempt this project again and use the sleeve. However here's my question. The rear main seal I used is Felpro 2941, but you used the Ford Racing M-6701-B302 seal. I noticed the seal I used is more money, but that may be due to it coming with the plastic installation sleeve to help slide it over the crank without damaging the seal lip. Is one of these seals better than the other one? Which would you suggest I use? Did the Ford Racing seal come with the installation sleeve?

Hey guys I just stumbled across this thread and I had a question about the rear main seal. I just replaced my clutch on my 92 GT and while I had it apart I replaced the rear main seal. I'm having the same problem as everyone else; my brand new seal is leaking. So after reading this thread I think I'm going to attempt this project again and use the sleeve. However here's my question. The rear main seal I used is Felpro 2941, but you used the Ford Racing M-6701-B302 seal. I noticed the seal I used is more money, but that may be due to it coming with the plastic installation sleeve to help slide it over the crank without damaging the seal lip. Is one of these seals better than the other one? Which would you suggest I use? Did the Ford Racing seal come with the installation sleeve?
With a new sleeve installed, you would likely end up with similar results from either.