Rear Main Seal

94blackgt 1621

Jul 13, 2003
I'm replacing my clutch and decided to do the rear main seal too. How do I get the old one out? Can I just pry on it with a screwdriver and hammer the new one in or do I need some special tool?
please reply
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

where are you buying your rear main seal. How much I got my engine on a stand and should prob change front and rear main i guess. I think you just pry it off like the front main, but I'm not exactly sure. I hope someone will let us both know

94blackgt 1621 said:
I'm replacing my clutch and decided to do the rear main seal too. How do I get the old one out? Can I just pry on it with a screwdriver and hammer the new one in or do I need some special tool?
please reply
Chad
I used a screwdriver on mine, my dad told me to be very careful when i did it, im not exactly sure why. Make sure you put some red gasket sealer on there, you never can be too careful and dont want to drop the tranny again if you dont have to.

I hear that. I had to change my tranny out in the gravle and with no lift other than me and my brother.
well worth it for a stang!!!!
By the way my brother is the guy who goes by the name misery machine on here. He's from Indianapolis.

When I change cluch on my Stang 8000 miles ago I didn't change rear main seal , but now that sear is gone , I have leak , so I have to change that tohether with flywheel , T bearing , bearing retainer and rebuild T-5

I drilled a tiny hole in the center of the seal, and then inserted a small sheet metal screw in the hole. Then I used a claw hammer to pull out the seal. To install the new seal, I used a hammer, with the old seal flipped around on top of the new one to keep it from getting bent up.

You want to be very careful, if you ding the crank or block you will get quite a leak.

Dave