Rear Shock Isolators

• Sponsors (?)

MGSTANG said:
Do you NEED to have the isolators on the back springs? I heard you get almost a 1/2" drop taking them out. If anybody's done this, how noisey and rough is it? Let me know, thanks.

What kind of springs do you have? theyve been taken off Ford C springs, without any noise at all. if you have stiff ones, they probably will cause some noise. but only take out the top ones, the bottom ones are a must.

JDMsTangR said:
Id return them if it were me. You are not going to like your ride at all. And dont they give almost 2 inch drop. Why would you want to go lower than taht.
I didn't take them out yet, I was just getting some comments first. The prolines only give you a 1.5" drop. But for some reason, the back of my car is a full inch higher than my friends lowered car. My car is not level at all. I don't know what it could be.

Make sure the pigtail on the bottom of the spring is facing the right way. If it isnt, then that could make it sit higher than it should, or be uneven from side to side. I think the pigtail ends should face the drivers side for both springs, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

You gotta keep the top isolators. I'm running both tops and bottoms and I think my rear is just a tad too low for my taste. Most people can run without the bottoms and don't get any noise. My car being a 98, I would think, would groan a little without them. A newer car depending on corrosion, I would think woul be ok.

I say put the isolators in, see what it looks like, and if you don't like it, go rent a spring compressor from Autozone, and remove the isolators yourself. A fairly simple job.

I've also heard that without the bottom isolators, people have had no problems, and only a handful of people have creaking or groaning problems. Again, try it and see what happens, everyone's car is different.

Conversly, I need to get some spacers for my rear to raise it up about a 1/2 inch or so. Has anybody done this, and are there any concerns with doing something like this?

I myself have never run my car with the isolators, but I've heard of several people who have without any problems and with several different types of springs. On the other hand, others do have problems with ride harshness and suspension niose. Removing them is always a gamble. If it were me, I'd just make sure all contact points were clean and possibly even lubricated to prevent squeaking. My 2 cents.

My friend just removed his tops on the front of his 02 GT and he says there's no difference in noise or ride. I need to do that to the front and back because my back is raised so much higher than the front, I don't know what's causing that.

MGSTANG said:
My friend just removed his tops on the front of his 02 GT and he says there's no difference in noise or ride. I need to do that to the front and back because my back is raised so much higher than the front, I don't know what's causing that.

Is it possible that you bought springs for a vert and not a coupe? Are your shocks AND struts the same model and make?

My shocks and struts are stock right now. I just have a pretty high rake look. I think it's the right springs, if they were the convertible springs it would only have a 1 inch drop according to the eibach website. I have more that a 1" drop right now. Just the back needs a little more of a drop