Rear Speakers 1989 GT Vert

Black95GTS

Jan 8, 2004
Marlborough, MA
All,

I'm in the process of installing new speakers in my 1989 GT Vert. I've been to crutchfield and they are conflicted as to whether there are 4 or 6 speakers. I've searched this forum and found conflicting opinions as well. My vert does not have grills visible in the back of the car, nor can I hear sound coming from the rear seat area. I picked up the car 2 weeks ago and the drivers side speakers are gone anyway, so it wouldn't surprise that the rears could be blown as well.

Could one of you please confirm whether or not 1989 GT Verts had rear speakers? I'd prefer not to tear into the car if I don't have to, but I also don't want to miss out on a couple 6x8s either.

thanks,

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks... any idea where exactly, and /or what is the best way to get at them?
thanks,Adam

You have to remove the side covers next to the seat. 4 trim screws is all if I remember right and unlikely you'll even have to pull the bottom seat to do it. The "hidden" screw is way in the back slightly behind the seat back 1/2 way up. Whether you put that one back in is your call I just put it in the rear ashtray until I'm satisfied the project is DONE. One in top. Two in the front and you'll probably have to loosen the door floor trim piece too.

So no more than 6 little philips screws. It will pull right out and you can easily unplug the window switch and the speakers from the back.

After you do it once it will be easy for you. While you have it off make sure the bolts for the window motor are tight too 3 of them. Ford didn't change the design until the 90 model. So I don't know how those come out?

You have to remove the side covers next to the seat. 4 trim screws is all if I remember right and unlikely you'll even have to pull the bottom seat to do it. The "hidden" screw is way in the back slightly behind the seat back 1/2 way up. Whether you put that one back in is your call I just put it in the rear ashtray until I'm satisfied the project is DONE. One in top. Two in the front and you'll probably have to loosen the door floor trim piece too.

So no more than 6 little philips screws. It will pull right out and you can easily unplug the window switch and the speakers from the back.

After you do it once it will be easy for you. While you have it off make sure the bolts for the window motor are tight too 3 of them. Ford didn't change the design until the 90 model. So I don't know how those come out?

Thank you a ton for this. Just came back from business trip / vacation combo and just noticed it. Thanks again!

Adam