Rear suspension question for you serious drag racers?

Dan Gray

Founding Member
Oct 27, 2002
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
What are you using for rear suspension and what are your 60 ft times???

There are sooo many parts for mustangs and soo many mustang owners and everyone has their own opinion. But what is a good rear suspension for hooking on launch? I do realize a four link and a back half is the best but i know many of us are doing very well with stock style suspension. So i have decided to ask everyone what they are using? What Control arm? springs or coil overs? shocks? anti roll bar?

Im running an 89 lx and when the moons all align the car will hook and run high 1.3 60ft but that only happens once or twice a year. the rest of the time im either blowing the tires off or bogging and running in the high 1.5 or 1.6's. I launch my car off a two step and have varied the RPM all over the board to try diffent torque and HP levels but its always the same result. There seems to be no happy medium. On my last race weekend the car would bogg hard at 4000RPM and blow the tires off at 4200RPM

Thanks
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

The best set up is going with a adjustable 4 link system and probably coilovers, with the adjustable 4 link you can adjust you rear instant center to where ever you want. time and tuning you can have a awesome gripping ride

if you want a straight drag rear end with coil overs install them straigh up and down for street tilt the coil overs. or go with good springs and adjustable pads for were the coil springs sit and then get adjustable shocks

What tire are you running? and what is your current setup? Have you had the car professionally scaled? and what trans are you running?

I Pulled a 1.53 60' at atco on saturday with Team Z uppers MM weight jacker lowers, a miller race cars anti rollbar, strange 10 ways up front and stock shocks in the rear. I think the car has mid to low 1.4 60' in it, the track was alright, but i was there two weeks before that and the prep was much better. I am also working on getting consistent with the clutch pedal but im still pretty happy with 1.53 sixty foots on drag radials for this season.

My friend at the track was running just UPR adjustables in the rear with 90/10's and drag springs and he cut a 1.56 on slicks that same pass that i had the 1.53, his car has much less suspension work done than myne, there are alot of variables to consider and the 60' times always come down to consistency

Yes i have been looking into setup my instant center line but i had the car at the shop today and found my anti roll bar bent! Damn Comp! Hehe oh well. So who makes a good anti roll bar??

Im running lakewood drag kit that drops the lowers and then steeda adjustable uppers. pinion angle set to neg 4. strange 10 way adjustable shocks. stock rear coil springs. M/T ET Drag 28X9. The car makes 735RWHP and im running it through a mcleod twin disc and a viper spec T-56

I have not scaled the car yet but looking on the internet today i found a link through chassisworks that talks about scaling the car. So i think i need to install coil overs or adjustable lowers and really scale the car.

Thanks for all the responses guys!!
keep them coming!

what are you guys setting the pinion angle at for street/strip duty?

my car hits 1.62-1.64, nine outta ten launchs. -3deg pinion, dbl adj uppers, SSM lift bars, LW 50/50s, moroso drag springs, 26.5x10.5 Streets.

stock posi too! packed with shims as tight as possible, works as good as a locker, at least for the et's I run

good dan, scaling is very important, is this a street/strip or pure drag that will come into play on choosing your exact setup with a pure drag car we want no lateral movement in the rear with a street car we want some, just something to think about. and get rid of your stock coil springs and going with coilovers should help you out alot with a little tuning you should shave a lot of time off