Suspension Rear sway bar hitting exhaust

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
My car is an LX. The Magnaflow catback is hitting the driver's side of the OEM rear sway bar. Do they make an aftermarket rear sway bar that would have better clearance? I dont really want to have my exhaust re-bent to accommodate the interference. I honestly cannot really tell a difference in the handling of the car without it. I'm not sure though since its only been off for a few miles so far. I don't do any autocross racing or drive it aggressively either.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe I could. I'm not sure how to dent it. Maybe hold a piece of a 2x4 on one side and hit the offending side with a ball peen hammer? I wonder if there is a better fitting aftermarket rear swssy bar out there?

Well without a pic of the offending area it is hard to advise, at least for me.
when I replaced my exhaust I took my pieces to a muffler shop to be installed. I've had it apart a couple times and no rubbing or hitting anything.

Just my opinion but I I've never heard interference with the sway bar before. Maybe something else is going on but that exhaust is made to clear all that. Before you remove parts or modify it I'd post some pics and do some checking. Again....Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users
Since I've never heard of such of thing, I went out and looked up my car (which is on a lift), something is really out of wack.
The sway bar is a mile from the exhaust and it looks like if I flipped it, it would hit the rear.

Well, I guess you really can't install it upside down. It's the same either way actually.
When I drive my car and go over a medium sized bump or dip, I have a clunk noise. With the sway bar removed, no clunk. I can see on the sway bar itself, that there is a spot where the exhaust makes contact. Not much, but enough to be very annoying. I have a little less than 2" clearance between the exhaust and sway bar. I can also see where the exhaust was just barely touching the gas tank plastic cover. I've read a few posts stating that the Magnaflow is problematic in these 2 exact spots where mine is having issues. I didn't really notice a difference in the driving characteristics with or without the bar installed.

Attachments

• 20191125_103315.jpg
    20191125_103315.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 20191125_103333.jpg
    20191125_103333.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 173
You won't notice the sway bar is missing until you are in a ditch.
Don't remove it and drive around.
See if you can tweak the exhaust pipes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user