Rear Upper Lower Control Arms and Shocks

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me I'd be unbolting one shock at the rear, pulling down on rear and yanking the spring out. Possibly need to slightly jack the other end of the rear up that your not working on then pull down on the end you are working to get enough clearance to get the spring out. Once out, have fun trying to line the rear up right to slide the bolts out of the rear/lower control arm. If your suspension is old, warn out and rusty be prepared to be replacing the hardware for teh control arms after you cut the old ones out with a sawzal :)

When you out the axel back in was there any issue lining up the control arm bolts. Everyone seems to say "do one side at a time or you won't be able to line them up". I was going to take them all off (upper and lower and shocks on both sides) so I could paint them up while waiting on my parts to arrive (to Australia) but was wondering if i will have issues getting it all back together ?
I heard poly bushings are find on stock LCA and UCA in the rear ..with some people saying don't put poly bushings in the rear axle ?

Don't put poly in the uppers. Tends to create bind. Lowers is fine to do and preferred. Keep your quad shocks.

No real order to install, just make sure you torque the arms with the suspension loaded. Put the jackstands on the axle, then torque everything tight.

I suggested doing one side at a time because it can get interesting to say the least trying to get four control arms into there torque boxes lined up perfectly to the bolt holes while supporting the rear end. If the cars torque boxes have seen some wear and tear or damage that makes it even more fun.

Thanks...anyone else replace upper and lower . What order did you do it in ?

I just did rear uppers and lowers on my 2K GT. I did them one at a time...uppers first (though it probably doesn't matter)...car on jack stands...used my floor jack to manage the end of the rear housing I was working on, and a scissor jack to manage pinion/mounting plate angle. ( You'll want a floor jack to safely manage the coil springs when doing the lowers. A couple of different sized wood blocks were helpful for lining things up. ) There are good instructions in .pdf on the Maximum Motorsports site. Take your time. Cheers!

Hi Guys - I have used poly bushings in the rear lower and the upper part of the rear upper. Is it ok to leave rubber on the bottom ones ?
Also, the right upper on the axle outer sleeve isn't pushed in very far but the left one has been pushed in most of the way but the previous installer.
Will this cause much of a problem...it is about 1/2 inch difference or so ?

So, will this make a difference and if not should I replace the rubber with poly in the axle bushing for this upper control arm ??

Pictures would be helpful here, but based on your description, the upper differential bushings were not put in correctly. They both should be installed at the same depth...I don't have the measurement as I used the Maximum Motorsport install tool (~$22) to set mine. Bushing types will likely start a whole 'nother discussion. My opinion based upon my research is to have rubber bushings in both ends of the uppers to prevent binding/tearing the torque boxes...I installed lowers with poly at the torque box end and spherical at the differential end (personal preference, you can use polys on both ends or spherical at both ends...I'd avoid the non-bushed lca's unless a drag only car). Choose the bushings that best suit your application and expectation.

The bushings in the axle housing should be installed at the same depth on each side. I would replace them. Or if they are new, it sounds like one just needs installed further in. I just replaced all of my rear control arms, and those bushings. I removed it all using a floor jack under the differential. Reinstalled the uppers first, then lowers. Without the shocks installed, the axle will droop enough for the springs to go in. Then jack it up enough to install the shocks.

Are you using stock springs or lowering springs? Stock ones are harder to remove and reinstall, but can still be done as described above.