Rebuilt 302 Hooker Headers Install

Vic1978

Dec 11, 2017
5454AE8A-1997-4EC3-92A5-C1386F9F3343.jpeg
BF609460-65B8-443E-96DD-09A30C8CC330.jpeg
I’m working on a 1978 King Cobra 302, Automatic. Needs lots of work. I’m starting with rebuilding the 302 engine.

I have read a lot about the headers available, only Hooker and Hedman. If I go Hooker headers, can I install the headers on the engine before installing it back into the car? Will I have any problems? Doable?

I have read over and over again on how to install them while the engine is in the car but haven’t found anything on being able to install as a unit when re-installing the engine. I haven’t found anything on that whether it can be done or not.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you'll be able to. The headers should wrap around the bell housing, and with the transmission still in the car I think it would be damn near impossible to reinstall the engine with the headers installed. I don't think it would even work if they were just loosly installed, but I could be wrong?

Another guy said to install them loosely, have another person under the car while you drop the engine in, manipulate the headers into place, then tighten the bolts once in place. Sounds ok but I bet it’s a headache.

Haven’t decided if I want the headers yet, I’m in California and want to stay away from the headaches. Too bad there are no smog legal headers for these cars.