recharge system with r12 question.

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
Adrian, MI
In a system that has not been "opened" to the atmosphere but will be having all of the "O" rings replaced do we need to change the accumulator? Meaning is just breaking it open to change rings equivalent to calling the system open to the atmosphere and needing the new accumulator? I have the new "O" rings, 6 cans of R12 and the r12 mineral oil. Just making sure I do it right the first time.

• Sponsors (?)

The accumulator absorbs any moisture that may get in the system. I assume its probably original? I would change it. I’m pretty sure once you open it up, you're going to want to pull a vacuum on the system as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Orifice tube/line should also be changed out
what is this Orifice tube you speak of? I'm putting new Evap in mine, have new dryer, and the lines, new seals, still have to order the condenser... and the compressor was changed not long before I bought the car almost 6 years ago and took apart. Want to make sure I wasn't missing anything else I need while I'm putting it all back together...

It's the line that runs down the pass side of the motor. There's a small orifice inside that creates the pressure drop in the system that makes ac cold. Usually with the system open it's recommended to change it out. I believe you need to change the entire line. I've seen the orifice tube for sale separate, but it always puzzled me on how to install it

It's the line that runs down the pass side of the motor. There's a small orifice inside that creates the pressure drop in the system that makes ac cold. Usually with the system open it's recommended to change it out. I believe you need to change the entire line. I've seen the orifice tube for sale separate, but it always puzzled me on how to install it
ah ok, I have new lines, so I guess/hope that's in there...