Recommend an Aftermarket Radiator w/ a Stock Fit

GrandmasterK

Founding Member
Aug 17, 2001
Madison, WI
I'm looking for something better than stock when I replace my rusty radiator but at the same time, I'd like something a little better. Can anyone recommend something in the $250 range that will perform better than stock but also not require modifications (ie hooks up with the stock mountings / hoses / fan)?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the 138CBR is the one I've been running in my convertible since 2000. It's a H/C/I car and has been through some seriously warm weather over the years. No problems whatsoever. It has the proper mounts for the shroud and drops right in.

ford racing m-8005-c aluminum 2 core. I just installed one replacing my stock 2 core oem brass radiator. The ford racing radiator is a cobra r replacement and cools better than the three core brass replacement. The cores inside the radiator are 1 inch wide. summit racing has them at $292 shipped. The temps with my stock radiator were 198-200 degrees, with the frpp rad the temps are 188-190 degrees. The bottom and the top brackets need slight tweaking, very easy to do and the radiator drops right in and the upper and lower hose inlet and outlet line right up and the trans cooler fittings line up perfectly. dimensions of core is 24.5" x 18.5" x 2-1/8" overall dimension including side tanks is 29" wide and 19.5 " high including top and bottom lip.

Attachments

• rad 005.jpg
    rad 005.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 163
  • rad 007.jpg
    rad 007.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 144
I've had several of the FRPP radiators with no problems. They're a good radiator for the money. A friend of mine had two leaking mishimoto radiators on his car, so I wouldn't go that route. I have a Fluidyne on my car now and it is NICE, but big money.

Aluminum radiators are fine to use. Many cars these days come oem woth aluminum and cool well.

I prefer copper radiators however as copper has much better thermal conductivity than aluminum. If two radiators were constructed equally, but one copper and one aluminum...the copper (brass) one would be superior on terms of cooling. Difference would be cost however.

I run a copper 3-core radiator. It cools exceptionally well tp the point my e-fan rarely comes on.

Aluminum radiators are fine to use. Many cars these days come oem woth aluminum and cool well.

I prefer copper radiators however as copper has much better thermal conductivity than aluminum. If two radiators were constructed equally, but one copper and one aluminum...the copper (brass) one would be superior on terms of cooling. Difference would be cost however.

I run a copper 3-core radiator. It cools exceptionally well tp the point my e-fan rarely comes on.

Plus 1 on this post. I had a coupe about 6 years ago that I put a three core brass/copper that I bought from Pep Boys of all places. I paid just over 100 bux. My electric fan rarely ran, even in 100 plus degree Texas summers. The top brackets had to be streched slightly to convince it to fit but it was far from a pain.