Recommendations for an aftermarket radiator fan

V8GTang

Mar 3, 2002
Chico, CA
Hi all,
My stock fan just doesn't seem to kick on sometimes, resulting in nearly overheating from time to time. I've been through 3 fans:
Stock caught on fire, replaced thru recall with same faulty design, replaced again with new. All 3 have just not been adequate enough to keep my water cool when doing normal city driving.

Instead of giving another stock unit a try, I'm looking to upgrade. How do the black magic fans measure up? All the ones I have found are listed as a part that only fits up to year 93. Have any of you successfully installed one of these?

Thanks
Mark

DSCN7624.sized.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

urban96 said:
i read somewhere that the stock fan with shroud outflows most all aftermarket fans... do you have the stock radiator? tried a new thermostat?

Radiator is a fluidyne racing aluminum radiator. Thermostat is 185 degrees. The fan is the problem here. When my car's overheating, the fan doesn't turn on. I will need to replace it, just reviewing my options.

The stock fan will out cool anything in the aftermarket. If the fan is new then check the three wires going to it. One is for high speed, one is for low and the other is ground. Seems your high speed is toast. Mine caught fire too and when I replaced the fan motor it still didn't work. The issue I had was the wiring. I bought a new connector (junkyard, $5) and about 12 inches of wire. Soldered everything together and haven't had a problem since.

Also check the fuse block (the fan uses the 60A fuse). If you have or have access to an ammeter, check the amperage... Our fans can draw upto 70amp during startup. Finally if all else fails, then you may need to replace the CCRM...

Jim