Reduce Underhood Temp....Help!

408stroker5.0

The world would be a better place if all males jus
Mar 10, 2004
Bonnyville, Alberta, CANADA
Anybody using header wrap on there Stang? I know header wrap is hard on header's, and some people will say I'd be stupid for using it but I got to find some way of reducing the under hood temp in my Stang. My 408 make's some serious heat under the hood, and alot of it is coming from the headers. If I have to change my header's every 3 or 4 years cause of damage than fine, I just want to get rid of that heat as it's robbing power and isn't the greatest thing for an engine running at 10.8:1 Comp. Anything else I could do? My header's are BBK Long Tube's (Not Coated) Nickel/Chrome Plated.
Any comment's or idea's would be apprieciated. Thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

Go to JetHot's website or call them. They'll send info about heat reduction. I've seen claims of 200-300F reduction in surface temps when properly ceramic coated inside and out. It definitely makes a difference. Not to mention making your headers nearly indestructible. While I haven't measured, mine seems noticeably cooler underhood since I coated mine.

Do you have a cowl hood?

Michael Yount said:
Go to JetHot's website or call them. They'll send info about heat reduction. I've seen claims of 200-300F reduction in surface temps when properly ceramic coated inside and out. It definitely makes a difference. Not to mention making your headers nearly indestructible. While I haven't measured, mine seems noticeably cooler underhood since I coated mine.

Do you have a cowl hood?

I do have a Cervines 2.5" Mach 1 Cowl Hood and I know that it helps on the highway, but on the street it dosn't help that much obviously. Maybe I will look a little more into getting a set of coated headers. I was thinking of getting a set of Kooks anyhow if fund's permit. Thanks for the help guy's.

Also if the headers arent stainless steel when the wrap gets wet it will cause the header to rust.

Are you specifically trying to lower intake temps or specifically under hood for some reason? If its intake then just get a CAI and maybe wrap the intake pipe so it doesnt heat up.

Also if Heat is becoming an issue and you need to cool things down you can try water or propane injection. Both will reduce temps and decrease knock. The water has a side benifit of cleaning your engine internals, and the propane seems to theoretically raise your octane rating.

-Dallas J

what shorty headers would you recommend? I heard the headers that are not all connected to the heads is ones you dont want to get. IE: I have heddman right now and each tube is connected together, and do not bolt up seperately. They are equal length, but i have been thinking about going to unequal. -J

I doubt you'll see any significant performance benefit from simply swapping to a different shorty header. If you really want to see a difference, put long tubes on it. If you insist on changing headers, I've been very pleased with the FRPP stainless shorties on mine - at least from a quality perspective.

Not to steal the show, but my headers came with the car, and the coating is all gone, the just look slightly brown. I have seen the FRPP ones they look good, but how is the coating on them? I am also to reduce temps in the bay. -J

If they look "slightly brown" they may be stainless steel. Stainless often looks that way as it ages with the heat cycles.

The FRPP headers come either bare (stainless steel) or with ceramic coating. You'll know the difference - the ceramic coating is applied by JetHot and looks like polished aluminum.

In a old post on Stangnet, I saw a guy who put a pair of hood vents from a small Pontiac on a stock hood. They were fully functional and looked sharp. The extra airflow would definitely let some of the heat out. I remember thinking that they would be just the thing for a twin turbo setup.

Also be aware that header wraps dont' only absorb water but they absorb engine oils too. They've been known to cause some very hard to put out fires in engine bays.

408stroker5.0 said:
Anybody using header wrap on there Stang? I know header wrap is hard on header's, and some people will say I'd be stupid for using it but I got to find some way of reducing the under hood temp in my Stang. My 408 make's some serious heat under the hood, and alot of it is coming from the headers. If I have to change my header's every 3 or 4 years cause of damage than fine, I just want to get rid of that heat as it's robbing power and isn't the greatest thing for an engine running at 10.8:1 Comp. Anything else I could do? My header's are BBK Long Tube's (Not Coated) Nickel/Chrome Plated.
Any comment's or idea's would be apprieciated. Thanx.

"well what would happen if i just put it on the stock shorties??? how long before they rust out like crazy???"

Reminds me of the story about the guy who when told that masturbation leads to blindness wants to know if it's ok to continue just until he needs glasses.