Refinished Quarter windows and trim (PICS)

gwiedner

Nov 8, 2008
San Diego, CA
So I spent everynight after work for a week refinishing my dry rotted quarter window moldings and trim around the doors and windows....Everything was done while on the car and turned out extremely well and gave the car a much better look...I apologize about the pics they looked alot better on my phone when I took them but you can still get a good idea of what they look like.

I used duplicolor high fill primer and duplicolor black trim paint then 3 or 4 coats of duplicolor clear to seal it all up. Tell me what you think. I'll try to get some more close ups tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1231719776458.jpg
    1231719776458.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 634
  • 1231719793523.jpg
    1231719793523.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 574
  • Sponsors (?)

Even though the pic is small, they look great. I used Duplicolor on all the quarter windows I've done. It's a great product. The clear is good to use too. I did one pair without clear (1st pair) and moisture got under there and lightly, lightly, made tiny bubbles. Hardly noticeable, but it pissed me off because you know how much time and effort you have to put into those to get them to look good. I'm just glad it doesn't cost more than 20-30 dollars.

Yeah I'm really happy how they turned out because it was the one area where the car really showed its age. Definatly one of the more time consuming things I've done but well worth it oh and I got a little overspray on the car and ended up clay baring the entire thing which took me a little extra time but was also worth it.

Attachments

• 1231719871548.jpg
    1231719871548.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 1231719898151.jpg
    1231719898151.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 408
so are you just talking about the rubber around the quarter window? did you sand it down to make it smooth before filling with hi-build primer? or did you just use hi-build primer untill it filled up nice, and then just painted it and cleared it?

I sanded the rubber down with 80 grit to rough it up but there were still a lot of pits and cracks that the sanding wouldn't get rid of so I laid down 4 to 5 coats of the primer then sanded smooth then another 2 to 3 coats of primer until all the pits were filled in and sanded that with 220 grit and then laid down the black trim paint about 2 to 3 coats then 3 to 4 coats of clear. Just make sure you let the primer dry completely before you sand because I got anxious and started to sand the primer to early and I ended up havind to redo the primer on that side.

so i should feel lucky to have excellent 1/4 windows in my notch :D. i heard the notch windows go for a mint? :shrug:if any of you need a passenger side 1/4 window for a hatch i have one in good shape. it was on a car that i parted out and it has been painted.peace

john:p

before after pics?
i tried doing this with a flat black and just light sanding cause i was just expermineting lets just say about 3 hours later i ended up with a quarter window trim that looked exactly the same before i started...i did not use primer or trim paint though and was just playing around with what i had....

where and how for this trim paint?

I got the trim paint, clearcoat and primer from kraegens they were all duplicolor brand....I tried another brand because they ran out of the duplicolor and it just didn't look right I think it was Mar-Hyde trim paint so be sure to stay away from that stuff....prime and sand until it is smooth before you lay down the black or you will just end up with a darker color but still pitted windows