Fox What do you guys think I should do with my quarter windows

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
My paint/body guy is finally picking up my fox tomorrow. I’m debating whether I should ask him about doing some type of restoration on the quarter windows, or if I should just tell him to spray some paint on them and call it a day. As you can see in the pics below they’re in really good condition, especially for the fact that they sat in the Florida heat outside for 7 years with the previous owner. Pretty much no pitting and just some patches of wear. In my mind I’m thinking I should just get a fresh coat of trim black on them and live with whatever signs of aging they have, instead of gambling with restoring them and potentially changing the look and feel of the stock windows. Let me know what you guys think i should do.

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6938.jpeg
    IMG_6938.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6939.jpeg
    IMG_6939.jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6940.jpeg
    IMG_6940.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6941.jpeg
    IMG_6941.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6942.jpeg
    IMG_6942.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

Personally, I would sand them down a little and then build them back up with some primer to fill in those cracks, then trim black sanding between each coat to make them look new. Since my car is also at paint I had to do that with my windows but they were a bit worse than yours. Since you can see the cracks/pitting in yours if you're getting a nice paint job (not Maaco presumably) I'd do those right.

Reactions: 1 user
I shoved mine in a box and bought the Scott Drake repros and added the MUSTANG script via a decal. However, my windows were in much worse shape, and the windows were $350 at the time I bought them. I am 100% satisfied with the repros.

One of those time vs money decisions.

Reactions: 4 users
I shoved mine in a box and bought the Scott Drake repros and added the MUSTANG script via a decal. However, my windows were in much worse shape, and the windows were $350 at the time I bought them. I am 100% satisfied with the repros.

One of those time vs money decisions.
And now if you get bored over the winter just restore your old ones, it's not hard and they look new if done right.

I sent a spare set of Coupe quarter windows to Fox Mustang Restoration a few years back and had them completely replace the outer molding. This is before the price increase and they look like brand new. Still in the box as I am saving them for when I go completely back through the car. I did not want to mess with the whole sand, fill, more filling and all that as I am not a paint and body guy. I saved some money over time and just bit the bullet and had them do it. Worth every penny to me but others may not think so.

I’m no paint and body guy either that’s my worry but I went ahead and ordered the poly flex and some flexible high build primer and I’m going to try and do it myself over the winter break since I’ll have some spare time. Should be a fun project. I’m gonna follow these instructions by infamous project I bought all the same stuff he uses. Wish me luck haha.

View: https://youtu.be/ysXRBHoaCiQ?feature=shared

I hope they turn out better than mine! I would over think it, then try and make it harder than it is, and top that off with some procrastination and then it would be summer.

• Haha
...and then you decide to not install them at all. Even though they're in good shape, they're not the same as the 86 pieces. So, you pack them away in a box and sit on them just incase "Oh, :poo:" happens and you need a window.

...and then

I sent a spare set of Coupe quarter windows to Fox Mustang Restoration a few years back and had them completely replace the outer molding. This is before the price increase and they look like brand new. Still in the box as I am saving them for when I go completely back through the car. I did not want to mess with the whole sand, fill, more filling and all that as I am not a paint and body guy. I saved some money over time and just bit the bullet and had them do it. Worth every penny to me but others may not think so.
Do you they do it anymore?
I remember when i received the email update that they would doing hatch quarter windows, tire kicked it for a little while and when i went back to sign on to get it done their entire site was scrubbed of anything quarter window related.
It was expensive and took a while to talk myself into, but i was open to it only to see no signs of it.

Finished up the restoration yesterday. It came out amazing. Check out the pics below. It was honestly not a difficult job and was a pretty simple process. First I used a bondo spreader to apply poly flex on top of the trim. Then I used a razor blade with some pressure to push the poly flex into all of the cracks. Then once that dried I sanded the poly flex away with 180 grit sandpaper until it was back to the window trim and all the poly flex that remained was that which went into the cracks. After that I primed it with sem flexible primer, three coats. Then I sanded down the primer with 600 grit sandpaper to smooth it down and remove any remaining imperfections. Finally I hit it with sem trim black.

This is the end result!

Attachments

• IMG_8377.jpeg
    IMG_8377.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8378.jpeg
    IMG_8378.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8379.jpeg
    IMG_8379.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8380.jpeg
    IMG_8380.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
I was looking through some ads and it seems notchback DCR quarter glass has the mustang logo and the scott drake hatch quarters do not.
I'd be curious as to why. Licensing issue?

I'd be curious as to why. Licensing issue?

That's exactly it. Accounts for the price difference between the two. $700 for the coupe windows and $450 for the hatch windows.

$10 decal on the glass and you really can't tell the logo isn't under the glass like the originals.