Reliable tests for Alternator and Voltage Regulator?

mkg988

Jun 29, 2007
Hi,

I am restoring a '72 Convertible running a 302 V8. Recently I had to replace the Alternator and the Voltage regulator to get the ALT light working and a decent charge to the Battery. And everything was fine, ALT light working correctly and battery charging.

I have just completed a top end engine rebuild, and after 15 minutes of idling the ALT light came on and will not go off.

Does anyone have any reliable tests that I can follow to determine if the Alternator or the regulator have blown?

Also while trying to investigate the problem, with the ignition turned on, the alternator could be heard making a ticking sort of noise, a bit like the flasher unit under a dash. Anyone know why it was doing that?

I'm in the U.K. and I am finding it a little difficult to find any help for Mustangs over here, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Martin

• Sponsors (?)

Do you happen to have a simple volt gauge to hook up to the charging system? Your local auto parts stores should have them, and should offer a service to test the alternator for free (because they want you to buy a new one from them)

Its possible the light is defective, or whatever triggers the light is. If you are reading the proper amount of charging voltage at idle, I would not worry about it