Relocating battery, is 2/O gauge wires good enough? Where to route?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
I can get some 2/O gauge welding wire, but not 1/O like everyone recomends. Anyways can I use this and be pretty good? They use this stuff on those big high compression 6cyl diesels, so you know those starters need a lot of juice to crank that big motor.

Also how should I route the cables? I am going to put them under the car, and was thinking along the driveshaft tunnel, but kinda decided not to, maybae along the frame rails? I am also going to install a 2g wire for the ground, from the battery to the block.

Also how much of 2/O, and 2g wire should I get? i've heard some people using around 15' while other say to use 25'. I will also be installing a cut off switch behind the liecense plate.

• Sponsors (?)

For your combo I'd say 2/O should do the job fine. I use 1/O for my 408, but mainly because it take's alot of juice to turn that thing over. It took me about 20Ft of the stuff by the time I was done routing all of the cable. Along the uni body work's fine, just insure the cable is secured tightly and has no chance of catching on something or falling off. Driveshaft tunnel would work alright as well.

cool. I am going to use insulated loop clamp things to hold them to the car. I am going to do a rough measurement out the length, maybe i'll be ok with 20' :shrug: My solenoid is also in my fender but that should really matter, however the approach i use to get there might.....

Thats true.....

So how much should I ask for? I don't want to take a lot more than I need,and I want to ask soon so I can get this started. My battery box is coming in tomorrow.....So how many feet? will I be safe with it I run it along the frame rail by going over the axle, and along the frame under the floorboards.

Don't know much about wire gauges, but I do know that you should get a few extra feet of cable just in case. Also, if you'd weld in your other subframe, you could use that as a guard for the wire, at least most of the way.