Remove Side Scoops or Buy Tires/Wheels?

pekoe1111

Apr 17, 2002
WAFFLING! Remove Side Scoops or Buy Tires/Wheels?

So I plan to put aside $300 for the shop to remove side scoops on my 1966 red convertible and cleaning up of the areas for painting. I will paint the car Caspian Blue. Based on the photos I have seen of convertibles with side scoops, I am thinking:

1) Darker cars make the scoops less noticeable.

2) Cars with nice wheels and tires (Magnum, Styled Steel) look better with side scoops.

3) Cars with rocker stripe or molding make scoops look better.

So, perhaps I should leave them on and put the $300 toward used tires, wheels and rocker molding (no stripes for me). I should be able to get a used set for about $500.

What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats cool. Our cars look so much better with out the scoops.

Which car is yours?

The scoops look horrible on the red vert, but on the blue one they look ok.

If it's between just removing the scoops or getting some new wheels.
I vote ya keep the scoop's :D. They look good with the shelby hood thats on the car. Put the money towards some nice wheels. Down the road if you have the car painted ,then you can decide whether to keep or remove them.

Tx65coupe: Unfortutately, the red one is mine. The good news (?)is that I will be painting it Caspian Blue, which is actually darker than the blue one in the photo. If I kept them, they may blend in better with a darker color, but I agree they look out of place with the current hubcaps.

Scoops or no scoops, them 14" wheels gotta go...

If you got rid of the side scoops the hood would look odd with those wheels. I agree with your observations about wheels and stripes. In simpler terms, you can have a muscle car look or a stock pony car look. Not both. Maybe keep the scoops, get some wheels and lower the car a little or bring the body back to 100% stock. Which do you want?

I think I've seen 15x7 or even maybe 15x8 styled steel wheels before.

CJ Pony parts has the wider 15" magnum OR style steel wheels .

7" styled steel

WHEEL 15X7 STYLED STEEL 1965-1967 - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

8"

WHEEL 15X8 STYLED STEEL - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

W07.jpg

7' Magnum

WHEEL 15X7 MAGNUM 500 1965-1973 MUSTANG - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

8"

WHEEL 15X8 MAGNUM 500 1965-1973 - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

W12.jpg

Although not original to the car, I agree that the Magnum 500 looks great on a 65/66 too. I am biased though:

l_38c89ee0f37049f699181f452aa9d158.jpg

Dennisatthelinecropped.jpg

I use a 15x8" on the rear of above stang (which I pushed the quarters out 3/4" a long time ago) and stuffed the widest slick possible on them. They fit great with no rubbing. The fronts happen to be 14x6's. A 15x7 with stock wheel wells would look equally good and require no body modifications.

Here is a pic with 14x6's on all 4 wheels:

GT_front_RH.jpg

I can't afford a new set, so I am on the lookout for a used set, preferably with tires.

So here's my options:

1) Keep the scoops, paint the car and look for a used set of Styled Steel or Magnums on raised white letter tires for about $500.

2) Remove scoops and wait perhaps a year longer to find the above tires/wheels.

Here is what #2 would look like:

Caspian2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Caspian1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I love Magnum 500s. I think they are the perfect wheel choice for our cars. Here is mine in caspian blue with Magnums, to give you an idea what yours will look like. Mine are 15x7.

tx65coupe-albums-v8-conversion-completed-picture3327-100-0538.jpg