Suspension Remove Spring Isolators Without Fully Removing Springs?

Bill Cool

Previously 87MustangGT
Founding Member
Nov 18, 1999
Seymour, CT
Part of the Prothane bushing kit I got of course includes F/R coil spring isolators. In doing research looking for install tips, it seems like a large number of folks swapping springs are removing the isolators without any detrimental NVH effects; and getting a mild drop from it. If mine are shot anyway, I'm thinking why not try running w/o for a bit, before replacing them.

On that note, I'm wondering if it's possible to just use a spring compressor to pinch the springs enough to remove the isolators, without disconnecting control arms, etc. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

The front isolators wrap on the spring. Might be tough to get those off without removing the spring.

For the rears...unbolt the shock and quad shock and the rear drops far enough away for the spring to just fall out.

I run no isolators on my front Mach 1 springs.

I'm having trouble understanding the point of what you are trying to accomplish.

Is it for the "mild" drop? If so, this is not worth the trouble or risk. If they are old and worn out they are probably damn near flat anyway, so mild, might literally mean almost nothing.

I've run with and without them, i would not run without them again.

If you are going to replace them, then do it all at once, if not, just leave them in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally, I was going to replace them, simply because I got new ones in the kit. If I'm not getting squeaks, I probably won't spend the 6+ hrs to pull the springs until such time that I actually decide to get lowering springs.

Originally, I was going to replace them, simply because I got new ones in the kit. If I'm not getting squeaks, I probably won't spend the 6+ hrs to pull the springs until such time that I actually decide to get lowering springs.

So essentially you were going to do this as a method of lowering the car until you were going to get lowering springs?
Not a good idea. Wait and do it all at once.

So essentially you were going to do this as a method of lowering the car until you were going to get lowering springs?
Not a good idea. Wait and do it all at once.
No, I'm not planning to get lowering springs at any point in even the remotely foreseeable future; if I was, I would just wait until that time.