Removing Oil Pan on a 66 289

Burgundystang

Dec 13, 2003
TN
We need to remove the oil pan on a '66 289 in order to get to the oil pump. What is the easiest way to do this? It looks like we will either have to lift the engine up or remove most of the stearing linkage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i did mine recently, and i removed the steering linkage because i was repairing the linkage anyhow. but, it looked to me as if i just removed the lower sway bar, that i would still be able to move it forward enough to drop the pan.

That's what we thought originally too, but after we took the sway bar off the pan still wont slide forward and out because there is not enough room to slide it under the crank shaft and over the steering linkage.

ummm yeah, you prolly have a ball stud connecting the drag link to your pitman arm, the best thing to do instead of pulling the stud outta the pitman arm is to just remove the pitman arm from the steering box. I didnt know it was a ball stud when I did mine, so I beat on the stud with a ball join seperator till i pulled the ball stud outta the center link =/ it was stuck super too. plus its easier to get a puller on the pitman arm.

I am 17 and new to working on cars so i am having a little bit of trouble with some of your terminology. Could someone tell me or refer me to a web site that could show me what the idler arm, pitman arm, and drag link are? And are the sway bar and cross bar the same thing? Thanks a lot for all your help.

sway bar and cross bar are the same, the drag link is the main bar that connects to your tie rods. on this bar also are 2 arms, one connects to your steering gear box on the drivers side, this is the pitman arm, on the passenger side there is one like it but it bolts to the frame, its called the idler arm.

do you have a service manual for the car? if you don't, id highly recommend you get one. any well-stocked automotive parts store should have one. if you can, spring for one of the reproductions of the Ford originals, most mustang specialty places have those. it should have a detailed diagram of the whole setup as well as instructions on how to remove the oil pan...