removing quadshocks hrt anything??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
i want to run some 275s on my wheels.
i had 255/50/16s before and it was close to rubbing the quads.

my friend ran 275/50/15s on his car and he said it works but isnt for sure if it hurts anything.
He heard that u need to have contol arms and stuff before you can take the quads off?

anyone know anything??

• Sponsors (?)

Consider this: Ford is cheap and if they could get away without putting the quad shocks on, they would have. Figure $15 a car times 1 millon cars - that's 15 million bucks. If I could figure out a way to save 15 millon bucks, I guarantee that I would do it.

The quad shocks prevent wheel hop. Once the rear end starts bouncing around, alternately loading and unloading the axles & spider gears, something is going to break. Some people use different upper & lower control arms and get away with not needing them. Don't count on this working for everyone everytime.

DMAN302 said:
You can flip the quad shock around and clear the tires..just remove and flip 180..then reinstall.
that's what I did on the 90 LX...I had to utilize a hammer as well and dent the casing to keep the tires from rubbing; however, the quad shocks still appear to be functional - I didn't dent it too much.

wouldn't advise on trying to dent the quadshocks, one may go too far and end up damaging the shock absorber inside to the point of no movement, which wouldn't be good for the axle.

i am running the steeda lca's and took my quads off cuz S&B told me he had no wheel hop with these things and stock uppers..... he lied to my ass. **** hasselhoff!!!!!

nah j/k, but what worked for him didn't work for me, and im glad i saved all the hardware for the quads cuz theyre going back on until i get some uppers, maybe even staying on then.

On a similar note...those stockers look dead. Since I already have springs/shocks/struts all 'round, I was thinking of replacing the worn out quads when I FINALLY install my upper/lower rear control arms.

Who makes replacements besides Ford? Anyone make "upgraded" versions?

criticman said:
On a similar note...those stockers look dead. Since I already have springs/shocks/struts all 'round, I was thinking of replacing the worn out quads when I FINALLY install my upper/lower rear control arms.

Who makes replacements besides Ford? Anyone make "upgraded" versions?

I think Koni made some but they were super expensive. I just got brand new Motorcrafts from PPI and they were very fair in price!

The quads are useless if you have a good set of lower arms. They help keep the rear planted during hard launches (eliminate wheel hop) and also help keep the rear planted on hard brkaing.
Good lower control arms do the same thing, they just do it a different way, they slightly change the geometry of the rear end and will eliminate wheel hop. I have a 90 GT with hotchkis lowers and the quads removed. I also have an 82GT with an SVO suspension, the konis are stilkl inoplace everywhere but the quads, they have been replaced with Southside lowers. Neither car gives me any problem with wheel hop.

jrichker said:
Consider this: Ford is cheap and if they could get away without putting the quad shocks on, they would have. Figure $15 a car times 1 millon cars - that's 15 million bucks. If I could figure out a way to save 15 millon bucks, I guarantee that I would do it.

The quad shocks prevent wheel hop. Once the rear end starts bouncing around, alternately loading and unloading the axles & spider gears, something is going to break. Some people use different upper & lower control arms and get away with not needing them. Don't count on this working for everyone everytime.

Like he said. Ford is more then cheap, im surprised the quad shocks came on the car and wernt charged as a "performance option". The little good they do is better then not having them at all.