Replacement ac lines

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
trying to get the ac going before spring and summer gets here. car is a 91 5.0. I pulled the compressor and each of the hoses and dryer to get everything cleaned up and o rings replaced. I'd like to replace the hoses and dryer with the ones from rock auto. Does anyone know if the dryer will have the half moon cut in the hose? or do I have to notch that out? or do I keep the hose and replace the manifold?

• Sponsors (?)

I have bought two from there. The one I received for my Saleen 3+ years ago did not come with it. I had to notch it myself. The one I purchased last year for my 89 did come with it and had to do nothing but install it. I believe they were both 4 seasons.

When they don't come with it I pull the metal location tab out of the end on the compressor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I’ll throw a monkey wrench into this logic. When I installed my AC, I had some old NOS Ford lines. (Still have 1 unused) and they had F3ZZ part numbers and did NOT have the half moon cut. I had to remove the little clicking insert inside the manifold to install the line.

I damaged my original and purchased the LMR reproduction manifold and those do not have the clocking insert.

Here’s where I dealt with factory ford ‘93 lines not having the clocking feature on the lines. I had to remove those inserts.

They don't make equipment strictly for R12 anymore. If you buy a reman compressor it comes with the O-rings that can be used for R134a and R12. I do not know what oil is in them but you can assume it's 134a compatible.

Even if you buy a replacement compressor it's the more modern parallel flow style that is more ideal for 134a, and not the old style serpentine condensers.

The entire industry assumes 134a is the gas that will be used in 99.9% of all new installs or repairs....unless you are me.

The o rings are the same R12, R134a and 1234yf, R22, R410....
It is the oil that is the difference
New compressors these days usually have some 134a (pag) oil in them
You need to get that cleaned out if you replace a compressor these days and are using R12
Don't get me started on the new R1234yf