replacing Gas tank filler neck grommet??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
this might contribute to my bad MPG, the grommet is bad i think, b/c everytime i had alot of gas in the car, like when i just fill it up. If i turn left, gas spills out the side of the car. not out the filler hole. under the quaterpanel. I think where the neck meets the tank, there is a grommet there isnt there, How hard would it be to replace???, could i just pull the filler neck out and put a new one in, or would i have to pull the gas tank??

• Sponsors (?)

A couple years ago I had a fuel pump put in mine, after it was disturbed it started to leak. I went back and they charged like $20 to replace it. (I don't like messing with gas because I stink for days and I work with oxygen so I'd get some funny looks.)

I think you would have to lower the tank to get the filler neck out to get to the grommet. A motorcycle jack would keep the tank level so nothing comes out of the filler hole. :shrug:

Yep, you lower the tank down a bit so the filler pipe can ingress/egress cleanly. Doesnt take too long for your first time.

Good luck.

exactly what HISSIN said.But I might add,make sure your gas tank is nearly empty before you tackle this (Go figure)...

I noticed,even when the tank is lowered,it's still a bitch to get the filler pipe out of the tank.Move the tank towards the drivers side as much as possible,and remove all bolts near filler cap.Pry out the old seal with a flat screwdriver.The new seal may seem impossible to install,but it has to seat tightly.Make sure the center groove in the seal seats all the way and careful not to damage it