replacing lifters a must??

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
while my block was out getting refreshed the lifters got mixed up, so now I dont know what bore they came from. on top of that I heard that even changing cams requires new lifters. Is this true? Can I re-use the lifters I have now or do I just need to get new ones?

• Sponsors (?)

with non roller lifters yes because the flat tappets and the cam wear into each other but with rollers don't sweat it, is cheap insurance of course to swap em out but if they arn't ticking and you don't want to spend the cash I wouldn't worry about it.

rollers for teh win, just out of curiosity, is there a lifter that would provide an upgrade over stock. this isnt going to be a race car, so I doubt this is an area that will see much of a gain in an aftermarket piece

No...the only time you would need to upgrade your stock roller lifters would be if they were going to see a lot of high RPM duty at the top of the tach. For normal driving between idle and the 6,250 stock rev limiter, a standard set of OEM lifters will work just fine.