replacing motor mounts for 1st time any advice?

Iwant5.0

Jan 9, 2003
NC
What are the best replacement motor mounts for a stock 90 LX and are there any tips you guys can give me to get threw the process right now my mounts are all cracked and split up and the motor dances around and I want to get them changed ASAP before anything gets damaged?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I order the ones for a '93 convertable, the best factory mount setup (used in most verts and supposed to be in all '91 up, but the auto parts guys get confused). They sell for around $40 each. For the install, just unbolt the big nut and the two small bolts going into the block and using a floor jack and a block of wood between the oil pan and tranny gently lift the motor until you can wiggle the mounts out. You may have to remove the fan shroud bolts so it can 'flex' with the motor. Before installing the new mounts make sure the old nut fits on the new mount. (Ford went metric and some suppliers still make them with standard threads, PITA when installed).

Jamie

If you go with prothane mounts, be prepared for a lot of cursing. They are substantially larger than stock, to the point your engine will sit a little higher too. You will need to crank up the engine pretty high, one side at a time, and massage the prothane mount in. Its a major PITA. I would assume stock or convertible mounts would go in easier.