repo 390 z bar fits way loose on pivot bushings

DCx 98GT

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2001
San Bernardino California
just like the title states. i test fitted the nylon bushings on the frame and engine pivots and they slide in and out of the z bar tube effortlessly. are these supposed to be that loose or are they a tight fit?

also there is a small tube pressed inside the main tube of the z bar that is way too short to make contact with the bushings.

so is it possible i was sent small block pivot bushings? the inside diameter of the bushings are 5/8.

the diameter of the opening of the z bar is 1" the tube pressed inside the z bar is about 1.1 inches deep.

i dont want a sloppy z bar.

• Sponsors (?)

It does sound like you got small block bushings. Call the vendor and have them pull a set off the shelf and take a measurment while you have them on the phone. Have your bushings handy to compare with something to measure with. THey should not object to a request like this.
The ends of the tube should be larger than the center. Like D. said, the bushings should be a easy slip fit, not floping around in the tube. I may have a set at work and can check tomorrow.

i got the entire setup from mustangs unlimited. all parts were labeled FE big block.

also, the bushings i received were black, i went ahead and ordered another set from ebay along with the felt washers i forgot to order. these new ones along with all the others sold on ebay are made out of a white rubber. im thinking that they might be slightly larger. who knows.

You really need to call Mustangs Unlimited. THere is something really wrong. If you are getting the correct bushings, then the Z bar may have a manufacturing defect. You need to have them resolve it. THis is pretty basic stuff-Z bars and the bushings. You have something strange going on.
THis should be the Z bar you got:
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

And this should be the bushing kit:
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

THis link is for the bushing, and shows the diminsions. Your bushins should have the same diminisions, and, each end of the Z bar tube, should be slightly larger than the outside diameter (OD) of the bushing.

You should be able to determine where the problem lies, and let the vendor resolve it for you.

In fact, the OD is 31/32 which s extreamly close to one inch. You should be able to easily measure your tube and bushings.

And this should be the frame side mount you are using:

ANd this should be the engine side mount you are using:

I went back and reread your original post. You say the bushing is about 1" but you say the tube is 1.1" deep, did you mean the tube is 1.1" tall?
It sounds like nothing is wrong at all. Once the whole thing is mounted, it will be moderatly rigid. It's not going to be a precision bearing, there will be some small degree of "slop" for lack of a better word. In fact, getting one out of a car with headers in the way, you would thing the thing didn't ave any slop in it at all! So, double check your parts, and see what you have.