Resurfacing Severely Warped Head/compression Boost Question.

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
Okay so I need to replace my headgasket and just got the heads off. One cylinder head has .028 gap and the other has a bit more amount than that.
My question is will the shop resurface them to the same depth? Or will I have to fork up even more money because it will basically be like shaving the head?

Sure would be nice if I could get away with just a resurfacing job. May end up having to use premium gas but oh well. Power gains.

• Sponsors (?)

i was just about to delete my stupid comment.
Was just wondering if anyone else had to resurface a big amount like .030" or more off their head and how much of a compression ratio gain happens.

Right, and you probably think I'm just being a b-hole. The reason I say that is because I can tell you what I think and throw dollar amounts at you, but that doesn't mean that the place you take your parts to is going to agree or charge similar prices to here. All of that is based on where you live, who is doing it, how good they are, their confidence level, etcetera. Contacting them is the best way to get a good answer quickly.

Let us know what you find out. I'm curious.

Reactions: 1 user
Let us know what you find out. I'm curious.

Well i took the head over to them today and they saw a hairline crack between the surface of the bore and the water channel on one of the heads(the previous owner did not take good care of the vehicle).
I was told if it passes the pressure test it should basically be fine as long as coolant is maintained.
/
Do I really need a cylinder-pressure test since the compression-test held over 130psi ?
The max reading was 180, i'm just hoping the others were low because of the failed gasket.
Compression results: 1-160, 2-130, 3-160, 4-140,5-136, 6-186

Resurfacing: Their machine mills up to .038" so that should be good for resurfacing my cylinder head if needed to go that much.
Do they resurface them to the same depth? I wouldn't want one head having more compression than the other.

Well I went and got the cylinder heads back today and brought them home.
I put them on several flat surfaces and they still move from side to side making a clink-clink ing sound. One more obvious than the other in the exact same spot. $190 .