Retrofitting a SN95 dash into a 68

jadesville

the polarbear conservation corps protects a polarb
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Gresham, OR
I don't have my 68' on me right now, So I need a measurement. I'm looking for the measurement between kickpanels & pillars, I'd like to know if the width of the SN95 dash assembly is capable of fitting into a 67/68 without having to narrow it. I've seen it done once to a 69/70, and searched, haven't seen it done to a 67/68 body yet though.

• Sponsors (?)

1320stang said:
Look at the SN65 thread

The SN65 uses half of the uni-body (interior/rolling chassis) from an 03 cobra and half (exterior/roof) from the 65.

But from there pictures it should be pretty close, maybe a few inches at most.

i saw the SN65 in person this past weekend. i dont think they had to narrow it, but the SN95 is too deep, so they had to shorten it that way, and create a custom filler panel that they spent a lot of money on :-?

goom49 said:
The SN65 uses half of the uni-body (interior/rolling chassis) from an 03 cobra and half (exterior/roof) from the 65.

But from there pictures it should be pretty close, maybe a few inches at most.

Yeah, but the dash had to fit within the door posts of the '65 body, right?

The SN95 dash is about 1.75" to wide for the 65 through 68 body style. We had to trim it and fit up a couple of custom end caps.

The biggest issue anyone will have with this "swap" is the machanical interface at the firewall. and the trans tunnel. The firewall and the trans tunnel will have to be spliced in at the correct location in order for the mechanical systems to fit properly.

Also, you will loose your windshield wipers. :)

If I were to guess how many man hours involved in such a project, I would guess about 160 to 240 hours plus materials.

68Eleclone said:
but is it worth it?

john

Its a pain in the *#$&. I was putting one in my 69 where the width is about right. The dash shape is wrong, the back end (windsheild side) has to be cut down, the width is wrong. Its hard to pull out 2" or so out of the dash...theres just not an easy way to do it. Then you have to have the whole dash wrapped in vinyl or something to cover up the cuts in the foam. The defroster vents have to be trimmed, the cover plate trimmed and smoothed. A pillars have to be custom. The console doesnt bolt to the trans tunnel, the dash doesnt bolt very easily to the firewall.

Im tellin ya, for a non-professional..Im guessing atleast 80+ hours of work before you have to have a pro refinish the dash after cutting it all up. Dont forget all the A/C box and stuff is abit larger

I feel your pain. :)

But, in answer to the big question of "is it worth it", yes, I think it was worth it.

REMEMBER....

Make sure you have the clearance and fit of all the mechanical systems checked prior to ANY finish welding. Just tack everything up and bolt it all together. Then you can take it appart and weld it all up.

SN65 said:
I feel your pain. :)

But, in answer to the big question of "is it worth it", yes, I think it was worth it.

REMEMBER....

Make sure you have the clearance and fit of all the mechanical systems checked prior to ANY finish welding. Just tack everything up and bolt it all together. Then you can take it appart and weld it all up.

What do you mean by "mechanical systems"? what do you use for gauges?

John

Yep. That heater plenum assembly is a killer. Also...

Windshield wipers, brake/master cyl, clutch, gas, stearing linkage, computers, etc...

Also don't forget the center console. The tunnels are different.